What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Might talk myself into hopping in this week and pulling some of the dying lily pads. I'd like to fertilize them one more time this year too.

IMG_5390 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
I had scooped out some weird algae today. In the bog filter, it was like a thick circular mat, not like the regular algae, this one was very easy to remove... wondering if it may be some other kind of algae that formed from these aquarium plants i purchased and put into the pond. could be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 7
Country
United States
Water lettuce growing very well and reproducing very fast, Hornwort went from a small patch to covering the whole pond in a matter of few weeks, don't mind it to be honest. Bog seems to be working well, plants are growing, fish are happy and the lily's about to rise to the surface which I am very happy about and a great surprise. View attachment 164288

Though I don't have many plants on this margin, most of these taller grasses simply do not like shade it seems. They'll grow but they end up floppy. Thinking I might add some marginal Carex grasses, I have seen people talk about it here and I use it extensively in the garden because nothing beats an evergreen like that, but I have not tried it on margins. I've got Carex riparia in bog but it's in the name.

Iris's a bit disappointing, but that may be cause many of these margins are just big rocks and so I guess the roots don't have much to hold on to?
My iris does okay, but does need a bit more sun than shade to do well. Not sure if you are looking for recomendations, but if you are looking for shade marginals I've had good luck with creeping jenny, "water forget me not" (Myosotis scorpioides), lance arrowhead, and Yarba Mansa.

Ask a Question