What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
20150516_113030_resized.jpg
20150516_113123_resized.jpg
20150516_112935_resized.jpg

My pond this morning...my new UV sterilizer seems to be making a huge difference in the pond. Been installed about ten days now and it is really doing a good job keeping the algae at a reasonable level. The fish can actually keep up with eating it now

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Stupid toad spit water at me this morning .What a nerve he has .I give him water and a place to lay his eggs and he thinks he has the right to do that .He now will be caught and taken away to a new home

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I really love seeing your bog addy! Here's my bog today.
IMG_2399 copy.jpg

and I found something in my bog today. Looks like one of the two male toads has had success. I haven't seen eggs yet, not sure when I will.
IMG_2390 copy.jpg

and here's a plant in my bog. I believe it's aquatic mint.
IMG_2397 copy.jpg

My Sweet Woodruff is blooming. The plants themselves look like they're dying. I'm not sure what's going to happen to them. They're actually a shade plant and I've had them in full sun for 3 years. They might not be able to handle it this year.
IMG_2410 copy.jpg

The Bullfrog...
IMG_2391 copy.jpg

IMG_2384 copy3.jpg

Smooth Black Sedge
IMG_2403 copy.jpg

Purple iris
IMG_2404 copy copy.jpg

Lastly, that log I dragged back on that rainy early-April morning is finally paying off in my fern corner now that they ferns are all opening up.
IMG_2408 copy.jpg

and a video...

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond...
IMG_2429 copy.jpg

A ruby-throated hummingbird stopped for a drink.
IMG_2420 copy.jpg

& the Bullfrog. I'm probably in the minority, but I love the algae. Never gets too bad but just enough to make photos like this look like it's in a more natural pond.
IMG_2434 copy1.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
How does anacharis grow? The same as hornwort, where it just goes wherever , or does it grow in a pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Canada
A big celebration here today: the fish are now in their new pond! I thought they would hide out for a bit after the distress of being netted and moved, but not at all! They are apparently thrilled with having so much more space. In the photos, it looks like they are swimming through pea soup, but it is actually the reflections of the trees. I now have the four goldfish and three very small shubunkins (the latter moved in last week). One of the goldfish is a silvery black and I could never see him in my old pond unless he crossed in front of one of other orange fish. But I can see him easily in this pond (he's beautiful!).
P1020576.jpg

P1020577.jpg

P1020552.jpg

P1020582.jpg

P1020586.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How does anacharis grow? The same as hornwort, where it just goes wherever , or does it grow in a pot?
I have some that has anchored itself into the lotus pots, lily pots, some that just sort of sits on the bottom of the big pond, lots of fine white roots growing out. The stuff in the stream pond has a nice layer of mud it tends to anchor in, some is free "floating" not really anchored, but does not really float around, it just sits where it is.

I started with a stuffed small flat rate box of the stuff 2 - 3 years ago.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Addy, I have tried to over-winter both anacharis and hornwort and all I get is a big mess on the bottom of the pond. (And this is after I have cut them back to 3-4".) In fact when I put new hornwort in the pond in the spring, they lose a lot of their needle-like leaves and plug the spitter pump.
Have you had any problem with them decomposing and making a mess in the pond?
How do you clean the bottom of the pond in the fall with the anacharis on the bottom?
What is your secret to keeping anacharis over winter?

Ask a Question