JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A geomagnetic storm (caused by yesterday's solar flare) is expected over the next three days, with Friday looking like it could be the "big" day. Only a G3 is forecast so far, which could be enough for northern lights in my area but not as strong as I was hoping. (Last month was a G4, May was a G5)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another solar flare just occurred, and it's the strongest one of the year!
This one is an X9.0 (compared to the X8.7 that caused our big northern lights show in May) Here's hoping for any chance at another good show. 🤞

flare103.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Clear skies tonight. Trying out my phone for night sky photography. It actually does considerably better than my camera. Only flaw is that it leaves a large bright area in the center of my photos. It's at least somewhat editable though. All of these were edited to hide it.

IMG_20241003_195137085 copy1.jpg

IMG_20241003_215108086 copy.jpg

IMG_20241003_200710708 copy.jpg

IMG_20241003_200602607 copy.jpg

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Northern Lights viewing looks good for tomorrow, except it's supposed to be cloudy/rainy here. :cry:

Maybe they'll get the timing wrong like last time and it'll be a day later. That'd be nice.

tomorrow_nights_static_viewline_forecast.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Northern Lights viewing looks good for tomorrow, except it's supposed to be cloudy/rainy here. :cry:

Maybe they'll get the timing wrong like last time and it'll be a day later. That'd be nice.

View attachment 165959
Might be clear here tomorrow night but if it's too late I'm out!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Might be clear here tomorrow night but if it's too late I'm out!

It's a shame we don't have the technology to better predict the timing and intensity. It's definitely a game of patience and luck. And a lot of monitoring stuff online.

My weather forecasts are not making any sense. One says a cold front that could bring rain and thunderstorms. Another says only 4% chance of rain and most clear skies. And another says overnight showers and 0% chance of rain at the same time. 😂

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got a nice photo last night of the Milky Way, a satellite, and an airplane. Now I'm just waiting to see if we get the northern lights tonight and whether or not it's cloudy.

IMG_20241004_205652962 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Been at a remote location for several days, no TV, radio, etc. Just now hearing about the devastation from Helene. Hope all our members in that area are OK!
John
Thanks for asking after us. I'm in Pinellas County FL west of Tampa and am all right. I'm above storm surge level, but the barrier islands and the next-to-water communities got a lot of house flooding (2 - 4 feet into houses). Poor Big Bend area in FL (landfall) and Asheville NC and area for rainfall flooding. Just awful.

More not-good news, the Nat'l Hurricane Center just upgraded another storm in the Gulf to a potential Category 2 hurricane, maybe 3, for mid-week (Wednesday ~ Oct 9) somewhere on the Gulf (west) Coast of Florida and crossing over the state of FL to the Atlantic side. Models are forecasting a possible direct hit to the Tampa-Sarasota-Naples FL area. Gulp.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sadly no sign of the northern lights yet tonight. If they arrive it will be after midnight or even potentially tomorrow after sunrise. It's even clear out currently aside from some clouds to the north. It's also warmer than it's been all day and very windy!

IMG_20241005_222739905 copy.jpg

IMG_20241005_222240163 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for asking after us. I'm in Pinellas County FL west of Tampa and am all right. I'm above storm surge level, but the barrier islands and the next-to-water communities got a lot of house flooding (2 - 4 feet into houses). Poor Big Bend area in FL (landfall) and Asheville NC and area for rainfall flooding. Just awful.

More not-good news, the Nat'l Hurricane Center just upgraded another storm in the Gulf to a potential Category 2 hurricane, maybe 3, for mid-week (Wednesday ~ Oct 9) somewhere on the Gulf (west) Coast of Florida and crossing over the state of FL to the Atlantic side. Models are forecasting a possible direct hit to the Tampa-Sarasota-Naples FL area. Gulp.
Milton is a monster storm. Hang on.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I forgot to look and have no idea if we could see them :(

Nope. Unfortunately the big solar flare produced no northern lights. It was a complete dud. It reached earth in the AM hours before dawn but didn't produce lights.

But we did have Northern lights earlier tonight. There was a very quick solar substorm that produced lights in a bunch of states including my own. I wasn't able to catch them.

Ask a Question