What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
JB I think you are getting anxious for you pond to freeze over solid so you can keep watching to see what that breather does. Its getting there so won't be long now.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Merry Christmas everyone! Hey @j.w, did you get that strong wind last night? We had 50 mph. gusts here. I was up half the night removing Cedar and Douglas Fir limbs, needles and cones from our pond, roof etc... :( Here's one of three cans I filled with branches. (some of these pieces would make great Christmas swag):
image.jpg

Reaction score
Merry Christmas everyone! Hey @j.w, did you get that strong wind last night? We had 50 mph. gusts here. I was up half the night removing Cedar and Douglas Fir limbs, needles and cones from our pond, roof etc... :( Here's one of three cans I filled with branches. (some of these pieces would make great Christmas swag):
View attachment 77528
Swag out the pond!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Awe thanks Lisaebetten! Your so kind and I am so happy to show everyone how my ponds work, and what I can grow in my ice cold pond, way up here not too far from the North Pole! ha ha ha, not that far north like Mitch, he can see Santa coming down before me on Christmas eve! he he he

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
View attachment 77528
Sorry to hear that, Red. :(

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@Troutredds yes we sure did and I thought the house was going to blow away. We lost our power at around 9pm and it stayed out for several hours. When going for my walk today branches were everywhere all over the roads and yes I did get rained on today but made it back just before another gusher came down around 1pm. The smell of Christmas was in the air w/all those broken limbs.
Think it's supposed to actually be sunny for a couple days starting tomorrow

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Glad to hear the sun is coming your way JW, cause then I will get sunny weather too! Seems like your weather pattern moves up here to Canada.

I am sorry to hear about the bad winds. I heard on the news that is was the "pineapple express" but it did blow nice warm winds up my way and gave me much warmer the usual weather, so I can't complain, and little Rio babe was happy to run all over the grass again and not freeze her little feet.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Awe thanks Lisaebetten! Your so kind and I am so happy to show everyone how my ponds work, and what I can grow in my ice cold pond, way up here not too far from the North Pole! ha ha ha, not that far north like Mitch, he can see Santa coming down before me on Christmas eve! he he he

I'm going to be holding Santa hostage here until he gives us your presents.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
JB, one modification I made to my pond breathers was to take a couple of nylon zip ties and wrap them around the tube and heating strip to hold the heating strip tight against the "aeration tube", I'll call it.
Good idea Mitch, it probably really helps in your extreme cold, in our area it might not need to be done. I will know more after this winter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks. I didn't see the usefullness of the heating strip out in mid air like it is.
It's probably supposed to fit in the groove on the side, but it can come loose.

Ask a Question