What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
and so it begins....winter that is and ice on the pond...

Attachments

• first snow and pond 2014 003.JPG
    first snow and pond 2014 003.JPG
    325.1 KB · Views: 173
  • pond plants bedded and pond ice 11 2014 008.JPG
    pond plants bedded and pond ice 11 2014 008.JPG
    303.8 KB · Views: 200

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
es it does! The face has been on for10 or more years so it may have scared or calloused the tree. Hope I find the eye thou.
That's exactly the same one I got! I'm going to paint it brown so it'll blend in just a little more. The nose is a little...uh... weird looking but I think he's cool!! Great minds think alike!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think lots of us went from warm to cold very fast and really it is not even winter yet! I do love the snow. It is so peaceful looking. Hope we get some this year or beginning of next

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Woke to a light dusting of snow this morning and we're to get several inches tomorrow....hubby is excited to use new snow blower! My pond brother is supposed to arrive tomorrow and I'll add it to my aerator. I pulled my pressurized filter today....so pond is now completely tucked in for winter. I'm thinking of keeping it netted all winter too.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
The net can freeze hard to the ground and then be stuck there till spring. Birds like to have a drink of water in winter as water is scarce during winter months and may come to drink and get tangled in the net like what happen to me one year. I rescued the bird but his feet were very tangled and I ended up cutting the net to get him out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My old net was like that Collen, but this one is a mesh, kind of what's like on a swimming pool. Hubby built a pvc frame to keep it supported above the water's surface over the winter, so no worries of it freezing to the pond. I do feel sad for the little birdies, they often drank from the water fall over the summer, but I never run it over the winter.

My pond sits under a huge cedar tree, which drops lots of small debris into the pond. I love the tree, as it's home to many squirrels and birds, so it's a compromise. I sure hope we don't have a hard winter!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lisaebetten Yes Those are tent poles that hold up my netting for the leaves. I have 4 long tent poles zip stripped in 6 places holding it in place above the pond and the poles are held in place with large rocks. I do have a spot or two open for the birds and our squirrels to get a drink and hope it'll warm up again when all the leaves finally fall to get the net off of the pond! I also have two bird waterers with heaters just in case, since we feed ALOT of birds who like it in the back yard.

Foutainman I'd have to look through pictures to find the ice sculptures that are made with my bubbler when it gets really cold as it forms a mountain of ice above it that is kinda kewl looking

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
After looking thru 15000 pictures I finally found how my bubbler iced over last year on the pond! The deicer is beside it making an open hole. It's 14 degrees F right now and suppose to get to 9 tonight...brrrrrrr

Attachments

• my photos 15610.JPG
    my photos 15610.JPG
    191.8 KB · Views: 198
  • my photos 15595.JPG
    my photos 15595.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
Awoke to 3-5 inches of wet snow and the net sagging to the water:( I have the aerator going, but pond breather is supposed to arrive this afternoon. Weather is dropping near zero tonight, so we got out there and put the pond deicer in the pond....feel better about that....but may have to re think having net on for the winter, or get more support for it.

Ask a Question