What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I can see you out there now picking off thousands of mantis nests now! Neat that you can just mow them down in the fall. Then do they just regrow or do you have to reseed each year?

I mow down to around 4 inches, the trimmings drop seeds. Over time you do need to reseed. Here vines, brambles poison ivy, weed trees tend to take over. Eventually I do a kill all off dig up with my tractor. then reseed. That is maybe ever few years. Or you can just ignore it, then you tend to get a mono flower garden, the dominate flower sort of takes over. With some random other flowers popping up.

I walk the garden in the fall, after all is dieing back, looking for the mantis nests, I am sure I miss a few, but do my best to save any I find, Cut them off and stick them in other gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
addy, Do you have any pictures of the mantis nests? Just curious what they look like

JB, The lights look good. I just bought a set of three solar spotlights for my pond area. Have not had the time to set them up yet.

Reaction score
Jb looks great! I love sitting out at night watching them swim around. I just have it where only half of the pond is lit up with a blue-ish led under water light, so they can actually go to the other side and down to be in the dark. I wonder if having a light on 24/7 is bad for the fish? Anyone have insight to what it does to them?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I love having pond lights both solar spotlights and underwater lights. They really extend the amount of time I can enjoy my pond.

As for today, my new iris in the bog opened up. If anyone knows what kind it is, let me know.
DSCN5144.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We were talking about ferns the other day so here's my fern corner. I have four different kinds, but only three kinds have popped up so far. I'm hoping these eventually take over the whole corner.
DSCN5165.jpg

and a made a 'ground bench' so I can sit right down at the edge of my pond.
DSCN5162.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a few fish photos for today. I like all my fish but my favorite is my orange and white Comet.
DSCN5173.jpg

DSCN5181.png

I also love the blue Shubunkin. Didn't know they even had blue Shubunkins until I saw them last year and had to get one.
DSCN5175.jpg
Here's "big red" I purchased the same day as the blue one.
DSCN5188.jpg
and here is one of my baby fish.
DSCN5192.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ferns are so intricate looking, just love them. Wish I had more shade! Your new fish are very pretty and I want more Shubbies :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Got some new flowers from my grandma today.
First one is a a yellow iris. She gave me a garbage bag full of them so I put some in my bog, some in front of my pond and some more out in the yard.
DSCN5243.jpg

Second one is Muscari. I put these along the outside edge of my bog.
DSCN5219.jpg

My grandma has been really kind in giving me a bunch of her plants for my pond area. She's given me nearly half of my overall plant total. It helped out a lot, too!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
my pond is finally acclimating and getting established .I was beginning to wonder but since i have started adding more plants it has helped .I can see the bottom .I hope this is the last liner i have to put in .60 lb felt and 30lb and 15 lb felt under the liner with the liner fabric on top of that should help .Plus before I put all that down I added lots of milky spore to keep moles from going after those darn grubs .No grubs hopefully no moles .

Ask a Question