What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Some views around our pond today to give an idea of the alpine woodland setting we are creating.
View attachment 70270 View attachment 70272 View attachment 70273 View attachment 70274

Very nice job Red and I sure do recognize all those beautiful plants and love that huge Cedar tree. I planted a Giant Sequoia tree a few yrs ago and guess I won't be around long enough to see it in it's humongous glory. Oh well maybe someone will let it live after we are gone and others will get to enjoy it :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
murky again :(
IMG_6882.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
It is new JB and it will get better the more the plants fill in, you will see. Does running the water through the white batting in a basket help at all for you? You may have to do it constantly till the plants fill in. It helped for me.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is new JB and it will get better the more the plants fill in, you will see. Does running the water through the white batting in a basket help at all for you? You may have to do it constantly till the plants fill in. It helped for me.

That is what I'm hoping, that this is just a cycle of a new pond. I noticed my water lilies have a lot of little leaves on them now so if we get decent temps more steadily, they should start growing soon!

I've read about batting as a way to filter algae and other fine debris, but haven't tried it yet. I'm considering it though.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
My pond getting some blooms today.

IMG_5752.JPG

Yellow Flag in bloom.
IMG_5761.JPG

The ferns just showed up one day on their own.
IMG_5754.JPG

IMG_5753.JPG

My little Azolla pond w/ a reed in the middle.
IMG_5743.JPG

This stuff I found in a nearby lake and I don't know what it is but it took root in a big tub of water. I put some slucky mucky dirt in the bottom and it's growing like crazy now.
IMG_5747.JPG

taherrmann4

Tmann
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Accidentally posted this in the wrong thread. "What's your weather like today". Moving the post here to the appropriate thread.

Anyway here are my clovers again. Sending out runners. I counted 5 runners near the surface of the gravel. Probably more below the gravel as some of the leaves are emerging from the gravel. I'm excited that they're getting bigger. I like their leaves.

As a child back in Washington State I remember I used to go to a large nursery known as Molbax Nursery and I remember they had these and I always wanted one.

Anyway here are my clovers.View attachment 70231
I had the clovers when i first put my pond in and in no time they took over about 25% of my pond. I ended up ripping them out for fear it would be nothing but clover in a few years. It is a cool plant.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Wow, that really looks awesome, j.w! I'm crazy about ferns, myself. Even the wild ones are a welcome addition to our property. I like that lily-type plant you found at the lake - curious if anyone can identify it. :woot:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Wow, that really looks awesome, j.w! I'm crazy about ferns, myself. Even the wild ones are a welcome addition to our property.

I love ferns too. I've got three different types but none seem to do great by the pond (too much sun) so I stick them in the corners and they do good. Green ones are my favorite...
DSCN3580.jpg

...but I also like the Japanese ones I have. Hard to tell the actual coloration from this photo but the leaves are almost white and the stem is a purple-ish color.

DSCN5117.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I tried ferns they died too much sun here, I had the clover, it died after the second summer, so did not bother to get any more.
Did like it when it was here though. I put out a ton of white dutch clover seeds in the yard for the bees, it has good nectar content. Mint is another good plant for the bees, have a bunch near one fence line, some in the bog, which does not take over like some says it does at least in the bog.

Going to take cuttings and put it along the back field fencing, help out our bees lol

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
my bog.
IMG_6891.jpg

my grandma gave me a couple irises last week so I put one in the bog and its starting to flower.
IMG_6890.jpg

Three of my fish. (the baby is on the bottom left). i decided not to remove the sand from the shelves, the fish are taking care of it for me.
IMG_6900.png

I trimmed my lavender plant a few weeks ago "to promote new growth" and stuck a couple of pieces into the ground, and it looks like they're growing into new plants. who knew?
IMG_6904.jpg

and here are a few flowers I have. These aren't in the pond area, but about 20 feet away, so I think that counts (y)
IMG_6894.jpg

IMG_6898.jpg

Ask a Question