What does your pond look like ... Today?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
heavy rain again last night so nothing needs watered and stock tanks are getting filled up because of the rain .Still so much to do and no time to do it all .

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
heavy rain last night took all the top soil I put next to the pond in to the pond... soooo muddy and nasty, my edging is mostly gone so I will have to re-do the rock edging. I really need to put sod in...

we got 3-4 inches of rain last night in a matter of half an hour but since we have no gutter the water from the roof made the water run off worse.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, this isn't by my pond, but I thought I'd share a photo of another wildlife project I started last year. This is my mostly-native garden. Many seeds (specifically purple/yellow coneflowers, black-eyed susans, purple prairie clover, and milkweed) were planted over winter and they're beginning to grow, but won't flower until next year. A few plants are established and flowering, including Penstemon, Gaillardia, and Spiderwort. Blazing Star and Orange Milkweed will also flower later this summer. Next year it should look great!

IMG_0775 copy.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Look at your water hyacinths multiplying Troutredds! Look at my sorry little group of yellow water hyacinths. :) You can see one of the reasons my hyacinths aren't doing so well. ha!
2015-6-10 xtra (3).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So, I just got done feeding my fish. I pulled out a dead one, about 18" and over 3 pounds. It had two puncture wounds in it's side. Looks like the work of one of my Osprey friends. grrr

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
take you hyacinths out and put them in a tub of miracle grow for a day or 2 and they will perk up

Attachments

• pond and other stuff 2015 039.JPG
    pond and other stuff 2015 039.JPG
    263 KB · Views: 190
  • pond and other stuff 2015 038.JPG
    pond and other stuff 2015 038.JPG
    280 KB · Views: 181

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
It had two puncture wounds in it's side.
Mike, I am so sorry to hear about your fish.

I just lost my first fish to a blue heron yesterday, after having the pond for 11 years. I went out to the pond and all the fish were really spooked and huddled on the bottom - no coming up to beg for food. I took a head count and was missing one. I walked all around the pond and couldn't figure out how the heron got the fish. None of the net was tore, fishing line was still up. Finally I got up on the pond hill and I saw some shiny orange scales on the one rock in front of the falls. I tried to analyze if the heron really could have gotten the fish even with the net on. I am thinking it must have landed in the falls and then was able to strike at the fish under the net - the net was a little higher than I usually had it and I didn't have fishing line across the falls like I usually do. Boy are those birds amazing. I am just very thankful that I didn't lose any more than that one fish. Here is a picture of the way the pond was netted before I fixed it. I have put more fishing line up and lowered the net. I hope that will take care of the heron.

2015-6-19 xtra.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My up slope side of the pond is nothing but a rock bank going down 3-4 feet to the pond. I read that herons will not walk on irregular stacked rocks................yeah right! I watched the heron come and wander down the rocks as if they did not exist.
So my high hanging net now hits the bank on that side drapes down on the ends and on the bog side. The herons , so far, just keep flying as they go over our pond.

The last time one visited I watched it work the yard for over an hour, snagging bugs, a frog here and there, but no fish. It circled the pond for over 45 minutes before it gave up and started working the yard.

Ask a Question