What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond today...
IMG_0556 copy.jpg

IMG_0475 copy.jpg

IMG_0498 copy.jpg

IMG_0549 copy.jpg

and the bog.
IMG_0531 copy.jpg

@addy1 see the dark spots? I'm a little worried about that. I'm not sure what's going on. Have you ever had it happen? I'm wondering if my new pump has something to do with it, since it doesn't have a screen, maybe too much is getting into the bog or something. I'm wondering what you think about the situation.
IMG_0535 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
see the dark spots?

Over the summer and time my bog gets a layer of dirt, on top of the pea gravel. I was thinking (at one time ) of using a shop vac to get rid of it. But never got around to it. And as summer goes by the plants get so thick in the bog I can't see the pea gravel. It acts like a settlement chamber in a way, the fine dirt settles on the gravel. When I yank plants because it gets too thick some of it flows into the pond, but within hours it is removed. I have mucked the pond up so bad it looks like a mud pond (one of the times I decided to really purge the bog), within a day it was clear again.

At one time I put quilt batting across the water flow to catch it when I was mucking with the bog, then decided that was too much work, now I just ignore it. Also I have a ton of tads in the bog, would hate to hurt them just to remove some fine dirt.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Umm... what do I... I don't know what to do here.. Found this baby duck splashing around in my driveway. No other ducks anywhere. I set it in my bog, not sure if its still out there. I didn't want to do anything to it incase the mother finds it.
IMG_0566 copy.jpg

EDIT: as fast as it appeared, it's disappeared. I'll keep an eye out but not sure what I could do for it. Sadly I imagine its chances of survival are slim.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There is a nesting pair on the gulf, near where my parents are in FL and I've watched them successfully fish many times. They are a beautiful bird, but I can' understand you'd prefer them to fish elsewhere!
There's a smaller one that likes to hunt from a fence pole, about 6 feet from the pond. I haven't seen large amounts of fish disappearing. An otter would be much worse. Now I know what they are, and what their after, I will scare them away in the future.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Nice garden! I have eight small blueberry plants, already picked around 6 lbs of berries off them, more to be picked. And they taste so good! I got the plants from costco last year.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The fisheye shot on that flower made me dizzy and happy at the same time. How cool.

Sadly my pond is getting cloudy. I think it's due to the ton of rain we've had recently but I put the batting back in the pot yesterday and hope it begins to clear again. It looks like we will be sunny for the next week or so so I'm hoping the batting does the trick.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I just got back after a week away, and I've got a million maple saplings to pull, but other than that the pond is doing well. The fish seemed excited to see me (begging for food) when I got back.

20150618_135252-X2.jpg

And I found some toads boning in the water lilies. I guess that means they'll be laying their eggs and heading away from my pond shortly. I really need some frogs to come back this year. I miss hanging out by the pond, watching my amphibians do their thing!

20150618_135304-X2.jpg

Ask a Question