What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Not lilies, but my marsh marigolds are in full swing.
IMG_0110.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
They are in a pot in my home made filter. I got them for free last spring when I went ditch diving an hour outside of the city last year. They froze solid this winter and started growing when the ice was still on the pond.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's what I need to do, ditch diving. We have marsh all over around me and I am sure I can find some goodies. I also have to find some bug eating plants to send to Addy. They live on the side of the roads out here.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol love ditch diving plants, here all there is to find is poison ivy! I don't dare go near ditches, shrubs, etc.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Ouch! Well hopefully you don't work over the weekends and it will still be opening on Saturday.

Of course, you could always try one of those beautiful night blooming tropical water lilies that open up around the time you get home ... grab a glass of wine or a cocktail and take the slippers out there, put your feet up and take in all its beauty. Your troubles will just drift away.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Someone else mentioned that to me. I'm not sure where I could find one of those but I'm going to be keeping an eye out. I did notice this morning that there were 2 more buds coming up, they hadn't hit the surface yet so maybe I'll eventually be able to actually see one! *cough *cough I feel like I should go home early. :depressed::D

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
The funny thing is my hubby was giving me grief about the color. When it's closed all you can see is white. I am hoping to have it open after work so I can nanny nanny boo him. :) I have lots of pads right now but we've been in spring mode for over a month now. I keep trying to send some your way Colleen. :)

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's beautiful, what is it?
Red rhododendrons and various ferns. Douglas firs are in the background in the first pic, a western red cedar in the second.
Here is mine this morning, getting nice plant growth now, the lilies are growing well too just not hitting the surface except for one pad which the ducks broke

View attachment 80493

View attachment 80494

View attachment 80495

one of the horses

View attachment 80496

Blue jays

View attachment 80497

View attachment 80498
Beautiful, Rob. (y)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
No buds for me but the first pad of the season is expected to reach the surface tomorrow. Quite a few pads at the base of the plant but only a few have started to extend. We're finally getting consistent warm weather so that should help them out. Here's some of the other plants around the pond.

The first native fern is beginning to unroll. Japanese Painted Ferns have also started.
IMG_1856 copy.jpg

Columbine
IMG_1858 copy.jpg

Sweet Woodruff
IMG_1861 copy.jpg

Blue Flag Irises
IMG_1862 copy.jpg

Horsetail Rush
IMG_1863 copy.jpg

Grape Hyacinth is at peak.
IMG_1865 copy.jpg

This unknown Iris did terrible in the bog last year but I left it in anyway and it's come back better than ever.
IMG_1868 copy.jpg

Butterflyweed (asclepias tuberosa). Oddly, the ones that flowered last year have not returned yet, this one did not flower and it's growing.. hmm...
IMG_1869 copy.jpg

Gaillardia is growing in great. It was already my favorite flower but I also like how quickly the leaves fill in in Spring, and that the plant continues to flower until frost.
IMG_1870 copy.jpg

Japanese Variegated Sedge along the pond. I also cut a small part off and stuck it in the bog.
IMG_1871 copy.jpg

Blazing Star along the pond's edge
IMG_1872 copy.jpg

Daylilies along the pond's edge.
IMG_1873 copy.jpg

Ask a Question