What does your pond look like ... Today?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
image.jpg

After all my moaning and gripping this is what I came home to!!! My first blossom ever. Thanks Meyer for giving me hope. I'm so excited!!!

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I woke up this morning and now have 2 buds. TWO!! Thank goodness I have a fence because the happy dance that happened after I saw the first blossom was ridiculous. I only did a short jig for the second blossom but it was early and I hadn't had my coffee yet.
Oh happy happy day.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I think they are white. I hope they have opened up tonight when I get home. At least that's what color the tips are.
And I'm totally like the expectant mother, "as long as they are healthy I don't care what color they are" :cry::LOL::)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Don't be disappointed if they are closed when you get home. They open in the morning and then close at night, so you can potentially miss the blooms if you spend too much time at work. This is just another reason not to be a workaholic. If you think you missed it, spend a little more time tomorrow morning sipping your coffee and watching the bloom... you worked hard for the bloom and deserve it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Trying to cleverly word my phone call... "I'm uh.. gonna be late this morning.. See I've got this delicate flower that I have to tend to". Hey I think that would do the trick right?? I was home this morning until around 9:00 and didn't see anything. Do they stay open during the day?
Darn it milhousebarks now you've got me all discombobulated that I'm going to miss my first blooming lily!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
Yes, they open in the morning, stay open all day as long as it isn't rainy or really overcast, then close up later in the day. I'm not sure if it is a lunar thing or relates to the light, but they may stay open longer for you if you have good later day day sun. My sun is gone from the pond by early afternoon and I think I remember them often closing between 4 and 5 ish. That may also vary by variety, but others would have a better idea of that.

If you were there until 9:00 and you had sun on the pond, I doubt you missed it, although it may have gotten to partially open later and then closed. By 9:00 you would probably see it starting to open. But I would be hopeful about tomorrow if it was already showing over the water yesterday.

I might suggest telling the office something like, "My first born isn't going to school today, so I'm going to be a little late this morning." Reality is what you make of it.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well that makes me feel slightly better. I didn't have full sun on that part of the pond yet and I will have sun on them until about 5:30. How many days will the flower stick around? I have a meeting tonight and now I'm debating if I should go home first to check...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a - Arlington, VA
It depends on the variety, conditions, etc. But mine all seem to last 3 to 5 days. If they get to 5, though, they're looking pretty tired.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine usually close up around 3ish. some open as soon as the sun comes up.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
It wasn't open last night but I got home late. Hoping to see it after work today. Trust me you guys will know when it happens by the 6,345 pictures I take of them. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
My blooms stay open late. Of course it stays light out here in the summer till 11 PM on average though. I can't really remember them actually closing up to be honest till they start fading away after a couple of days.

Ask a Question