What does your pond look like ... Today?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Oh I like the idea of a palm or something coming out of it. I'm a little nervous about putting too much weight on it since it is sitting on 2 milk crates and another pot turned upside down... Lol I hadn't considered the lava rock though, are there plants that grow just in the lava rock?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Is you pond sun all day .Cannas do great elephant ears and mini palms and if some shade caladiums any plant that likes wet feet .Even my grasses grow in lava rock now in my filters .Kitty litter just did not work since water was flowing over the roots .Mini cattails also I would put a piece of extra liner under it all so it is not resting on your pond liner ,even the extra heavy duty black garbage bags would work under there .Since you don't have fish any thing would work

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm so in love with my new water feature. I had purchased the pot intending to use it as a waterfall on the side of the pond but after setting it up I decided to try this. I love it. Not sure if I'm going to bog it out or put some type of filtering material in it. I just love it. I also planted a bunch of stuff in and around the pond this weekend. I've got to do some work to the edging but she is off and running for Spring!!
View attachment 80114
Looking great! That new pot looks like it's just hovering there on the surface and it also creates a beautiful circular wake. (y)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
winds here now are gusting between 30 and 40 mph and to be honest I think they are higher gusts because it blew over chairs on my back deck

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Red I've got staked solar lights. I love mine. They are LED and have a light sensor they come on at dusk. I bought most at WalMart at the end of summer last year and they were a few dollars each. They are all still working, well those that haven't fallen into the pond....
And thank you, I love the pot. :happy:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Looking great, @JBtheExplorer! (y) Tell us about those staked solar lights, if you could. I really like the solar idea, since ours only run on D batteries that require replacement every few months. Do yours have LED bulbs or motion sensors?

LED bulbs, run off of Moonray AA solar batteries that last a long time. Not sure if I've ever had to change them since I got them a few years ago. Depending on the amount of sunlight, they usually run anywhere from 4 to 6 hours each night. Occasionally, I've seen them dimly lit early in the morning before sunrise. They're sold at most stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. I used metal poles and painted them black to raise the solar lights up about a foot or so, so they shine down on the pond. They don't really light up the water much, but do a great job of highlighting the stone edge.

The two shining at the pond aren't made anymore, but the company now sells a new one that appears to be the upgraded version, but I'm not sure.
http://www.moonrays.com/20-Lumen-Floodlight-P630.aspx

The one problem I see with that model is that you can't adjust the panel separately. Especially in Spring, the sun is still south so I aim the panels that way.

IMG_7000.png

The two I use for the bog are still sold, they seem a bit dimer and more of a yellow-ish light, but still highlight the small bog nicely at night. Here's their description:
http://www.moonrays.com/Mini-Spotlight-P387.aspx

IMG_6912.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
LED bulbs, run off of Moonray AA solar batteries that last a long time. Not sure if I've ever had to change them since I got them a few years ago. Depending on the amount of sunlight, they usually run anywhere from 4 to 6 hours each night. Occasionally, I've seen them dimly lit early in the morning before sunrise. They're sold at most stores like Walmart, Home Depot, etc. I used metal poles and painted them black to raise the solar lights up about a foot or so, so they shine down on the pond. They don't really light up the water much, but do a great job of highlighting the stone edge.

The two shining at the pond aren't made anymore, but the company now sells a new one that appears to be the upgraded version, but I'm not sure.
http://www.moonrays.com/20-Lumen-Floodlight-P630.aspx

The one problem I see with that model is that you can't adjust the panel separately. Especially in Spring, the sun is still south so I aim the panels that way.

View attachment 80125

The two I use for the bog are still sold, they seem a bit dimer and more of a yellow-ish light, but still highlight the small bog nicely at night. Here's their description:
http://www.moonrays.com/Mini-Spotlight-P387.aspx

View attachment 80124
Those lights are real nice, JB.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You are making me want more Shubbies addy. They sure are pretty and love all the variations in their patterns.

Ask a Question