What does your pond look like ... Today?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I am still waiting for the ground to defrost so I can get to work on a new addition to the pond. Want to get started clearing the old little fence away and get hole dug and ready for liner. I want to make another pond to connect to the top pond, and move a bunch of the medium fish up there. Then I want to move the big goldfish out of the bottom pond and have the middle pond only for goldfish. Then the new upper pond and the existing upper pond will be Koi only.
then I want to build and new house and garage and win the lottery! ha ha ha ha

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is why I brought my lotus in ,it was the never know about winter
They are in those big tubs with handles from walmart way to heavy to haul in. I used to bring plants in for the winter, too much work, trying to make life easier lol. Well until we got bees.........

You may luck out Addy. My one lotus pot has frozen solid every year and they keep coming back.
They will get to come back until way past growth time. I have not lost them before, but this ice was way deeper than ever before.

Hopefully everything will come back to life this year Addy. It was a very hard winter for your area. Have you seen any signs of fish?

I will probably lose the crape myrtles, they struggled to come back after last winter, this was colder. Anything that does not make it is just a goner, can't stress over them.
I have seen some swimming on the cameras as of a day ago, hard to see. Won't know much until it melts.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I had mine in those tubs when I brought my lotus in .I am just not sure how to keep them alive as they get bigger .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
I cleaned out my stinky bog container today :( Pee yew! I've been bailing out high standing water, but today pulled out mushy plant material, that didn't make it. I'm going to see what comes back, if it doesn't look good, I'lll use the resin barrel for elephant ears :)

My fish look good, still obsessing over how to catch the koi fry!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My bog had a ton of rabbit poop in it. Probably still some in it. It blends in with the pea gravel.
I have clumps of deer poo............... lots of it. They were in the bog eating, in the stream eating plants alongside. Got lots of deer poo to clean up, black pearls................lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 A
Country
United States
My bog had a ton of rabbit poop in it. Probably still some in it. It blends in with the pea gravel.
I found mouse droppings in my "pond shack", they chewed up my rubber pad I use to kneel on beside the pond. I think my air pump makes it warm and cozy in there for them!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Pond is 100% ice free!
I got the pump in and got the bog going. I noticed the ground sank a little where the bog meets the pond under the waterfall, so I'll have to build it up before it leaks over.
DSCN7883.png

and I saw the Bullfrog again a few times today.
DSCN7882.png

No sign of more than one frog and no sign of any baby fish. I plan on keeping all my fish outside next winter so I'd like to think they have a chance.

EDIT: Just saw a school of 5 baby fish! Great news!

Last edited:

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
today it was just to nice to work on things but had too.Shed has another coat of stain but have to finish the carport

Attachments

• pond and weather 3-16-15 015.JPG
    pond and weather 3-16-15 015.JPG
    222.9 KB · Views: 162
  • pond and weather 3-16-15 013.JPG
    pond and weather 3-16-15 013.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 179

Ask a Question