What does your pond look like ... Today?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Still ice covered and some snow, but it is melting.......slowly

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Another warm day. Did a little shovelling around the pond to thin the snow and help it melt quicker.
IMG_0993.png

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@sissy not yet cuz I'm waiting for my hubby to make me a connection to this old pool pump I took apart to make another prefilter deal out of. I tore the old pleated filter material off the pool filter and plan on wrapping matala media I have on hand around it and putting some kind of brace strips around it to keep the media in place. I will attache tubing from the new Laguna pump to this home made prefilter. Hubby is gonna make a flat round piece w/a tube on the end that sticks out so I have something to connect my tubing to. We looked in the stores for the right size connection and none would fit so that's why he is making one. He will glue and screw or bolt what he makes onto the top w/the large hole. Other end just has a tiny little hole in the circle. This will be very similar to the prefilter I bought for $40. So I will have prefilters on both pumps now.
Here is the bones of the prefilter pool thing.

IMG_6533.JPG

IMG_6534.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Beautiful, j.w! We have the same bright and cheery weather pattern south of you. :)

Thanks Red. Yes we do have the nice sunshine for today again but as I look out there right now the skies are clouding up getting ready for that predicted darn rain. Hope it waters everything nice, fills up the pond and moves on!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Another warm day. Did a little shovelling around the pond to thin the snow and help it melt quicker.
View attachment 78933
The shoveling does help. I think I have a total of 12 hours removing snow just involving the pond and stream. But the melting is doing well instead of having 2ft on the pond

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
jw I saw a couple of them in my sisters garage .They took down there pool 3 years ago but have those new in there garage .She asked me if I wanted them for my pond and I said I would have to see if there was a way I could use them.They came in a 3 pack

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Now you know. My hubby just got through making the stainless circle and end pipe that will be fastened to the top w/the big hole. Tubing I have will fit just perfect now over the end of that stainless short piece of pipe that sticks out. He's gonna use some pop rivets and some goop to make a nice fit on the circle over the plastic.

IMG_6538.JPG

IMG_6539.JPG

IMG_6540.JPG

IMG_6541.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
With this awsome weather, the pond is almost ice free. Only the corner with the step down still has a 2 foot diameter chunk of ice. Yea. Water temp up to 42. Got a pretty good look at my fish today even with the murky water. So far all my adults are there. A little more active also. Last years fry were even coming up to the surface. Not much green in the pond yet so not sure if they are finding much to nibble on. I did find one dead fry approx 1 1/2". Not sure why it died. I will do a water change as soon as I am able to.
Seems to early to start up the big pump. I hate to say it but we could still have snow and cold if this weather decides to act like March. Not that I want that. I am so done with winter!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The snow melted, on the pond, now it appears the ice is getting some water pockets in it, not melted all the way but some surface water.

pond.JPG

Ask a Question