What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
I managed to get out to my wildlife ponds for the first time since the end of October and faced a mass of fallen leaves. Spent the morning fishing them out and discovered the half rotted carcus of the little Stickleback which I'd discovered last Autumn.

I'm not sure if it was lack of oxygen that brought about its death. Felt rather guilty, I'm usually on the ball when it comes to tidying up the wildlife pond.

Wildlife Pond Project #2 BEFORE:

02-25Jan15.png

Wildlife Pond Project #2 AFTER:

08-25Jan15.png

The little pond was in a worse state, the water was totally stagnant and full of fallen leaves.

Wildlife Pond Project #1 BEFORE:

03-25Jan15.png

Wildlife Pond Project #2 After:

06-25Jan15.png

I've added some clean fresh water to both of the ponds and hopefully the water will clear up ready for spring.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They are saying 1-3 tonight tomorrow, the next day and the day after, who knows, it can change again and again .........................temps dropping, gave extra food to the buzzers, they tend to run ow when it is a warmish winter, fly too much eat up the winter stores.

Saw weather channel and they are predicting back to back storms up your way addy

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Sorry about your little fish @Figgy but you did a nice job cleaning them up for now.

@addy1 is that rain or snow coming down now at your place. I see something falling.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
40 here right now, it is rain currently, changing to snow sometime tonight, then they say snow snow snow.....................maybe!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Nice ponds figgy and shame about the fish .Now you will really have to keep up with your removal of leaves .You sure don't want that to happen again .IU know I get lazy too and have to stop and tell myself the pond needs attention

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Nice clear water and glad you are having such a beautiful day Colleen. So you never net the bottom of your pond? You just leave it natural and allow any junk your pre-filter doesn't get to just stay there?
Us too on the nice weather and the sun is up and maybe up to 60f today. Even heard a frog croaking!

Yes JW, I do net out the bottom of the three ponds from time to time. There is little areas that seem to catch more leaf litter and stuff and I keep those areas tidy. Most of the stuff ends up in the bottom pond and I net here and there every couple months or so, as needed. The big filters do the rest of the work.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well darn I thought you had a secret to share on how I wouldn't have to net mine out anymore. I'll do anything to get out of work ya know :)

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
If I don't see snow here it sure won't bother me ;)Got an infra red thermal imaging camera coming .Got the energy audit done on my house with the blower door test and part of it was they were giving it away as a prize and I got it .Now I can check for any of the leaks I may have missed .I followed them around with blue painters tape to mark any spots but you never know .Ahhh spring please come early .

Ask a Question