addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Mine are putting out flowers and have small tomatoes sitting in our sun room, they need to get out of the house

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine are growing taller but no flowers yet. I should repot them now or they will be busting out soon.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
We were in at the garden centres Sunday and picked up a few pond plants.
I tried to find a yellow flag iris, but was told it's considered an invasive species, so they would not be available.
I'll use the common names below for what we brought home.

Meadowsweet (zone 3)

IMG_5397.JPG

Corkscrew Rush (zone 3)

IMG_5398.JPG

Siberian Iris (zone 2) (1 blue, 1 yellow)

IMG_5399.JPG

Marsh Marigold (zone 3)
Water lily marliacea chromatella (zone 3)
Miniature Cattail (zone 3)
I'll bring the water lily inside to the aquaponics during winter.

IMG_5400.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Nice choice of plants. Never heard of Meadow Sweet and it's pretty. Wonder how big it gets? Too bad you can't snag some of the Yellow Flag from Colleen or ask her where she got it. I did plant some in my garden once and I'm still picking little plants growing up from seed those things dropped and it's been years! In my pond it is fine tho :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
The meadowsweet (Filipendula ulmaria Variegata) grows up to 5 feet tall with small white flowers.
Rated for zones 3 - 9.
Maybe the common name is different in the US?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Holy Mac well it will do good at your big pond but it would not fit in mine. I looked it up and says it will self seed but the new plants may not come in variegated. Says it only spreads 1 or 2 feet so it might work in mine as it gets tall but not wide. Yep they call it Meadow Sweet here also. Quite nice looking but has to have moisture all the time. Can't grow in a regular garden w/o wet. Says in hot full sun it may scorch but I have some shade in my pond from some trees I planted close. Says invasive in some places but don't know where.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Thanks addy.

I didn't know about the full sun issue, jw.
I may have to plan for it to go somewhere other than I originally wanted.
Maybe against the back by the poplar tree. Then again, maybe we don't get hot enough sun here anyways.
I guess I'll find out!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I bet they wouldn't scorch here either even in full sun. Sun is a shortage around here. I'd just plant it and see like you said. If you don't like it there you can move it or plant something bigger that it by it so it gets some shade.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The only shade I get is a little from the big maple tree south of the pond, and that shade is brief, comes and goes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Funny, my corkscrew rush didn't come back and my mini cattail has only 2 shoots from it. Hoping it still comes back better. And I'm at least zone 5! I will be VERY interested to hear what all comes back. Love that meadow sweet plant. I think you should ask Colleen to send you a start of her big yellow flag. Seems she is constantly hacking it back to a doable size! LOL Or, maybe you can't send plants within your country either.
Addy, has your Karly Rose grass come back yet? Mine are struggling, finally starting to fill in but not nearly as large as they were last year. I think they will continue to fill in now that it's warmer though. Just wondering how yours are doing.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Addy, has your Karly Rose grass come back yet? Mine are struggling, finally starting to fill in but not nearly as large as they were last year. I think they will continue to fill in now that it's warmer though. Just wondering how yours are doing.
my crape myrtle, karly rose, other grasses, nadina, red tip photina are all struggling. The karly is just now sending up random shoots of new grass.
the crape m is regrowing from the roots, at least 3 of the 5 are, two may be dead.
The low growing junipers are maybe coming back, but might not,blue rug.

The lilies are just now putting up leaves, .................but the creeping jenny is doing wonderfully!

Last edited:
Reaction score
We have a natural spring fed pond on the far side of our property, so I grabbed 5 gallons of water from it and "inoculated" the new pond hoping to kick start the cycling process.

View attachment 49341
View attachment 49342

In October we had a neighbour visit the pond. A beautiflul cow moose.

View attachment 49343

She drank...and drank...and drank...
Finally I yelled "LEAVE SOME FOR THE FISH!"
She calmly raised her head and looked at me as if to say - "...and just what are you going to do about it?"
Using my better judgement I stayed on the porch.

View attachment 49344

She drank some more and went back into the forest where her calf was waiting for her.

View attachment 49345

I am now wondering if a moose would find pond plants interesting to eat. I had a few test plants in pots near where she was drinking, but she didn't touch them. Here's hoping.

Wow your view is awesome! you much be up pretty high!

Ask a Question