Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I added about 20 Rosy Reds to the pond yesterday and put the 7 goldfish from my aquaponics setup in there as well about 1 week ago.
In effect I've doubled the bioload to the pond. We'll see how things go with that.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Will be interesting to see how many Rosy Reds you have next year at this time. Do they multiple fast? Or was it the Gambusia that do that?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Our neighbourhood cougar has shown up again on the trail cam down by the natural pond.

MFDC0029.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yikes that is cool! He almost looks like he's wearing a collar but it is just a tree sprig sticking up right in front of his neck. I would not be out walking in your woods at night for sure :eek:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE I wish we had the frogs, turtles and birds that you folks down south have.
Jw, the night definitely belongs to the forest here. If you go anywhere, you take a vehicle!

My wife participated in her first "cattle drive " today.
We were out working in the yard when 15 cows from a different neighbour wandered into our front yard.
It happens this time of year when the cattle are put out on different pastures and there may be some trees that have fallen on a fence over the winter.
We took turns with 1 on the the Polaris ATV, the other walking through the forest and with a couple of walkie-talkies got these guys back to their proper pasture.
Along the way my wife took a few pictures, one of a wild clematis she found in the forest and a couple pictures of the cows she was directing all by herself.

(y)

IMG_3747.jpg

IMG_3754.JPG

IMG_3755.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
In that first cattle pic, Mitch, is it my wild imagination running full speed, because of the recent cougar pic, or does that cow with the blue tag have a couple of big scrapes or scars on her back? And, what keeps the cows from being taking down by that cougar? You wife did an awesome job of herding those cows (look like Angus, at least the black ones do) and especially taking that wild clematis pic! I didn't know there was such a thing in the woods. Neat find!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE, I saw those marks too, but there're well healed over. They must have occurred during last winter.
These cows have been in the adjacent pasture for less than 1 week.
I'm told the most common predator of cattle around here are wolves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
That makes sense, as wolves hunt in packs, and can take down a full grown cow. I guess that's all part of them being in the mountains, they have to learn to be watchful for predators. I bet when they calve, the danger REALLY begins!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That lily that I purchased at the end of May is not exactly thriving.
The leaves are maybe 3 or 4 inches across and dark purple as you can see.
Over the past few days I've been giving the pond a trickle water change, maybe a total of 50% so far.
Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to help this lily along?

IMG_0478.JPG

Ask a Question