addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How is it planted? Is it in full sun? How deep it it?

mine kitty litter and some osmocote, full sun, 12-24 inches deep

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is it root bound? I have mine in oil pans, start out as small tubers by the end of summer they have filled the pan with roots and tuber.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a possibility.
I'll transfer it to a pail with clay tomorrow.
Don't have kitty litter, I'll just use the clay here around the yard I guess.

Did you put any drain holes in the oil pans you used?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Mitch it might be the weather. My lilies took forever this year to bloom and get larger leaves. I replanted mine early April too. If I remember you still had snow till last week :)

Mine are doing very good now. Maybe just more time. I believe lilies do best in about 70 degree water. If colder then they do not do to much

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Mitch your lilly looks about the same as mine in the front yard. It has been a cool spring and Lilly's need lots of sun and warmer water. Right now my water temperature is about 68 degrees, and the nights are cool. I think it is just a small lilly and will take time to grow...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Add some fertilizer when you repot it, Mitch. Addy has this lily thing down to a science! I noticed Menards has the 2 oz osmocote packets 10/$1, so I'm going to stock up on it again! I think I got them 20 cents each last time and thought that was a bargain, but 10 cents each, I'll be buying a few dollars worth. Put about 1/2-1 packet in the clay and put that baby back in the pond and it may take a week or two for it to get it's roots growing and then you will see some action. My lilies that I fertilized about 3 weeks ago are just now starting to really bloom. I was beginning to wonder about them! I guess that horrific winter we all had did a number on our lilies everywhere!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi Mitch. I am in Alberta too. It took my lilies forever to get going this year. Some of them I have had for years. I had one that I though was done for. Everything is finally taking off and I have my first bloom peaking thru the surface today. Should be another day or so for it to open. Even the lilies that overwintered locally at my favorite "pond" store were poor performers until recently. Our winter was very long this past year and we didn't get favorable growing weather till late.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Mitch, don't campare our lillies to thoses down south, there water is much warmer, and there springs come much much sooner. Give them them some food and transplant if you feel it is needed, but not to much can be down if the water is cool. I know some people here in town who had nice lillies in the past years, but there ponds were in full sun and shallow so there water warmed up quick.

We do have wild water lillies up in the Cypress Hills, and many years ago I did know people who had wild lillies, but they are not as pretty.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have had only 2 blooms for this year so far. I think it's cuz I am using no soil and they are sitting there w/just a rock holding them down. I will wait patiently tho in case they decide to go nuts!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Just so you northerners know, I had blooms well over a month ago, and then my lilies pretty much quit blooming. I did divide them all, so use that as the excuse for them going somewhat dormant. Just this past week they have all begun to bloom again. Sad thing is that each and every one of them (except the yellow one from Larkin) bloom after I leave for work and close up before I get home! Grrrr ... hoping to see some open blooms this weekend. Always hate it when they look like they just began blooming on a Monday, then wonder if I will even get a chance to see what that bud looks like open by weekend. Yes, this past winter was awful, and I think it has something to do with lots of us having much later than normal blooms on our lilies.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I think me replanting mine w/o soil has a lot to do w/ no blooms for me. I will give them next Summer to see if they do any better and then it's back to soil and fertilizer. We have had quite a bit of sun and warm temps so no excuse here for that.

Ask a Question