New pond build and landscaping started

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Ouchhhhh that is a lot of work . You have to be getting excited seeing light at the end of the tunnel you should be up an running mid june

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG20240529161346.jpg

Getting there, need to get the gravel in now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
By George i think he's got it.

my turn for advice, the rdf is it truly better as one way or the other meaning gravity fed or pumped ?
If gravity fed how do you have any pre filter a sieve? a course matala mat? reson i'm asking i have a customer who wants a large pond with a rdf and wetland but on the natural side of things.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By George i think he's got it.

my turn for advice, the rdf is it truly better as one way or the other meaning gravity fed or pumped ?
If gravity fed how do you have any pre filter a sieve? a course matala mat? reson i'm asking i have a customer who wants a large pond with a rdf and wetland but on the natural side of things.

The rdf is gravity fed.

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly.

I don't have any pre filters or mats, the bottom drains (and intake bay) goes straight into the drum filter which is in itself acting a prefilter for the bog. I'm using a rdf because I have bottom drains and as discussed with you, I don't want all the solids going in the bog. I'm not sure I would want to use bottom drains with a natural pond with gravel in it, isn't that what you have in your pond setup? or is that the question how do i stop larger objects getting into the bottom drains?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The rdf is gravity fed.

I'm not sure if I understand the question correctly.

I don't have any pre filters or mats, the bottom drains (and intake bay) goes straight into the drum filter which is in itself acting a prefilter for the bog. I'm using a rdf because I have bottom drains and as discussed with you, I don't want all the solids going in the bog. I'm not sure I would want to use bottom drains with a natural pond with gravel in it, isn't that what you have in your pond setup? or is that the question how do i stop larger objects getting into the bottom drains?
I was thinking if leaves or pine needles got to the rdf it would be a problem. But then again all I ever pull out of my basket strainer is algae and small rocks very rare to see a leaf

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was thinking if leaves or pine needles got to the rdf it would be a problem. But then again all I ever pull out of my basket strainer is algae and small rocks very rare to see a leaf
Hopefully the intake bay will pull out a lot of that matter before it starts to descend into the depths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been getting on with some of the technical bits of the pond and bog, working on the the opening for the waterfall.
IMG20240609175624.jpg
IMG20240609175629.jpg

Quite please with the outcome.

I then made a a template to repurpose an old stone window still for the waterfall.
IMG20240609180959.jpg

Used an angle grinder to cut the stone to shape.
IMG20240609185640.jpg

I still need to level it and fix it in, but to use a technical saying in the uk, I'm chuffed with it. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting close to living the life style.!
Have you set up the rdf ?
Gary I'm not sure how many gallons per hour your planning. Though I'm sure your thinking liters but I will say this I have a similar sized opening and at I'd guess around 6000 gph my pond raises about 2 inches in other words I think your spillway stone might be too thick and bring the water level up a bit higher then you maybe planning I

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting close to living the life style.!
Have you set up the rdf ?
Gary I'm not sure how many gallons per hour your planning. Though I'm sure your thinking liters but I will say this I have a similar sized opening and at I'd guess around 6000 gph my pond raises about 2 inches in other words I think your spillway stone might be too thick and bring the water level up a bit higher then you maybe planning I
It's slowly getting there, I'm hoping to get the rdf and pumps fitted this week.

Flow over the waterfall will be about 4800gph, the waterfall is nearly 3' wide so my maths (well online calculators) indicate it should be about 3/4" 20mm depth, so I hope it gives me a bit of spare... I hope

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That appears to still be cutting it close a fast growing plant in the bog can block very quickly or a bird landing on a plants an knocking it over could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Not knocking your design but my own when I first built my bog and that's what I had thrown at me

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That appears to still be cutting it close a fast growing plant in the bog can block very quickly or a bird landing on a plants an knocking it over could be the straw that breaks the camels back. Not knocking your design but my own when I first built my bog and that's what I had thrown at me
I hope there is enough spare around 30mm, it won't be the end of the world even if did overflow on the odd occasion.

mrsclem

mrsclem
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I hadn't been following your build lately but saw this part this morning. When I built my bog I converted the old one directly below it to a settlement tank. I used chimney flue liners as the waterfall and outflow. Had to chisel out both in less than a year as both areas overflowed even though I switched to a smaller pump. Plant growth and algae build-up blocked both. If your bog overflows, will it empty your pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I start having problems, I can look at replacing the stone with a lower version. I also have a variable pump to the bog so I could slow it down.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've finally managed to get the liner sealed to the bottom drains, the water table has been a bit too high and it's finally started going down.

I've also pleased with coping stone i've cut and shaped.
IMG20240619193403.jpg

IMG20240619193343.jpg

Next week I will start fitting pumps and filter, or try to start it as I have some of the garden being paved, so may not be able to get to it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've finally managed to get the liner sealed to the bottom drains, the water table has been a bit too high and it's finally started going down.

I've also pleased with coping stone i've cut and shaped.
View attachment 164003

View attachment 164004

Next week I will start fitting pumps and filter, or try to start it as I have some of the garden being paved, so may not be able to get to it.
Excellent job on that coping stone!

Ask a Question