Country
United States
I DO HOPE YOUR KEEPING TRACK HOW MANY GALLONS ARE GOING IN

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well it's up and running

IMG20240726155637.jpg

A couple of things a little wrong, the idea water level for the filter is a little lower than i wanted (must of measured it wrong, 4 times) . The flow through filter is not quite as much as I expected, I could get a different screen for it that may speed it up.

I now need to get deck made for the pump room and do a little cladding and start planting the bog filter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you didn't hit a home run
Now we just to figure out how to steal a base or two to get there.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Sorry to hear you didn't hit a home run
Now we just to figure out how to steal a base or two to get there.

Looks like you put a return jet in your skimmer? Is that what I see on the right side there?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Congrats! Looking good. Maybe you addressed this earlier: Are you doing anything to cover the liner above water line or will it remain exposed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like you put a return jet in your skimmer? Is that what I see on the right side there?
No that's the overflow pipe., That area will be covered by the deck

The good news the circulation around the pond seems to be good. The intake bay without being finished is collecting rubbish

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Congrats! Looking good. Maybe you addressed this earlier: Are you doing anything to cover the liner above water line or will it remain exposed?
For the raised wall on the right, beside the pump room, I intend to cover it with vertical boards I'm using the decking, I'm making the desk out of scaffold boards, I'm also cladding the blockwork on the outside of the pond with them.

For sections either side of the water fall we hope to train the bog plants over the edge to cover the areas.

Ideally I wanted the water level another 2" higher, but I must have placed my drum filter too low and now with everything fitted It's too difficult to move now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I take it your feed to the rdf is coming in from the bottom drains and gravity feed.

Increasing the pump strength should increase your height within the pond .
On the over flow you could add an elbow pointing up.
And I imagine your intake though maybe not planned you could add a wall / dam to raise the ponds height..
Restrict bottom drains a little

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I take it your feed to the rdf is coming in from the bottom drains and gravity feed.

Increasing the pump strength should increase your height within the pond .
On the over flow you could add an elbow pointing up.
And I imagine your intake though maybe not planned you could add a wall / dam to raise the ponds height..
Restrict bottom drains a little
Water height is not as bad as I thought, it a little lower but ok. The water usage is a bit higher than I expected, I'm on a water meter so that will cost a bit. I wondering whether to sink a hole below water table and see if I can use it. It would probably pay for itself in less than a year.

But it is good when a plan comes together 😄, I have the intake bay built now and it's working a treat

1000012475.jpg

This area will be covered

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
good deal, glad to see your issue may have been a simple tweak. i imagine your twitching to get a few fish in there. B U T i have not seen any mention of a quarantine tank. its never important until it is . one advantage is you can figure your exact dosages. if you dig i pit and line it with fabric and stone that water should be pristine as far as being clear the only issue i would be cautious of is fertilizers and pesticides used in the area. so the deeper you pull the water from the better

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
How deep is the water table where you are? Can you just dig a well wherever you want where you are? I thought about doing one here, but groundwater is too deep for simple DIY and there’s a lot of red tape to do it legally.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How deep is the water table where you are? Can you just dig a well wherever you want where you are? I thought about doing one here, but groundwater is too deep for simple DIY and there’s a lot of red tape to do it legally.
It's a little strange, we are on a little rise but we hit water at just over a metre down, it was a pain building the pond as it kept filling up.

We have clay soil so I think a layer of water is being trapped, I would like to sink a hole now as it's dry for a few weeks now, although it was very wet before then, just to see if water is still there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
good deal, glad to see your issue may have been a simple tweak. i imagine your twitching to get a few fish in there. B U T i have not seen any mention of a quarantine tank. its never important until it is . one advantage is you can figure your exact dosages. if you dig i pit and line it with fabric and stone that water should be pristine as far as being clear the only issue i would be cautious of is fertilizers and pesticides used in the area. so the deeper you pull the water from the better
Yeah no, I've already put some of my old fish in, they seem quite happy.

Pond will be used for mixed fish

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
how much bigger is the new pond? is the rdf up and running ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
would appreciate some info on the rdf , not much has ever been mentioned about them on this site that i have ever seen

Ask a Question