New pond build and landscaping started

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've finally managed to get the liner sealed to the bottom drains, the water table has been a bit too high and it's finally started going down.

I've also pleased with coping stone i've cut and shaped.
View attachment 164003

View attachment 164004

Next week I will start fitting pumps and filter, or try to start it as I have some of the garden being paved, so may not be able to get to it.
You have been busy.
Coming along nicely right on track for filling mid July.
On the rdf I am very curious how the water gets into the drum and where the sensor is when the system recognizes when it needs cleaning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been working on the plumbing for the pond, it's almost done. The biggest problem I've had, is I didn't allow enough room in the equipment "bunker" I should have built it bigger. It's been a really tight squeeze and it hasn't allowed me to do all I wanted.

IMG20240722175536.jpg

Here you can see the two bottom drains going into the filter. I had to compromise as I had no space for flush out branches where I wanted them. The ball valves are quite deep, so I made some handles to make it easier to open and close them.

At the top left is the inlet from the intake bay, this goes into a freshly cut third inlet into the filter.

The blue pipe is the water level topup, I just need to tidy up the pipes.

IMG20240722175602.jpg

I've used the two outlets on the filter, one goes to smaller for the two return jets for the pond, the second larger pump feeds the bog.

I've put a branch after the main pump so I can use it for flush outs, I can divert the water to a sewer. So for a flush out of a bottom drain, I can close valve on one BD, close the valve into bog and open the divert. Not ideally as the crap will have to get caught be the drum filter.

So I'm nearly ready to start testing it all out, I just need to do few electric items and it will be ready to go.

Oh yes, the other problem, getting into it, it's very difficult :ROFLMAO:, I'm doing to build a type of hinge decking hatches over the "bunker" that I can open and lay on to get to bits....I hope

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I hope your a small guy I had 3 feet on one side around my plumbing to the bead filter and I was cussing I can only imagine the Twister positions you had to get into. You got to be syked to be this close.

How many gph are you running to your rdf. A friend of mine is going to build a pond and wants me to design a rdf into it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I hope your a small guy I had 3 feet on one side around my plumbing to the bead filter and I was cussing I can only imagine the Twister positions you had to get into. You got to be syked to be this close.

How many gph are you running to your rdf. A friend of mine is going to build a pond and wants me to design a rdf into it
Unfortunately quite the opposite, a front row prop (Rugby). I should be able to access all of it from above, must I made climbing rungs on the side walls

The drum with have around 7000 gph (US) going through it. This is quite a compact drum, they do take up some room.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Is your a profi or who did you use. i was amazed how much water loss there is from where the water gos into the drum as it was a Teflon edge installed close to the drum but it was losing a good 300-500 gallons and hour.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Unfortunately quite the opposite, a front row prop (Rugby). I should be able to access all of it from above, must I made climbing rungs on the side walls

The drum with have around 7000 gph (US) going through it. This is quite a compact drum, they do take up some room.
so your probably not real flexible either and you had to work all that pipe laying on your belly and reaching down.?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
so your probably not real flexible either and you had to work all that pipe laying on your belly and reaching down.?
No I managed to get in there for most of it., but it's getting a bit difficult now.

My worry is if I have done something wrong in the layout, very little room to change it.

The whole area can be isolated with ball valves, so that's something

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is your a profi or who did you use. i was amazed how much water loss there is from where the water gos into the drum as it was a Teflon edge installed close to the drum but it was losing a good 300-500 gallons and hour.
Losing 300 -500 GLS an hour? That is way too much. It should use no more than 25 gallons a day for the wash

My drum is a Filtreau hf30.

They do use quite a bit of water. I'm auto topping up the pond from a large rainwater tank I've just installed, it holds 1500ltrs

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Losing 300 -500 GLS an hour? That is way too much. It should use no more than 25 gallons a day for the wash

My drum is a Filtreau hf30.

They do use quite a bit of water. I'm auto topping up the pond from a large rainwater tank I've just installed, it holds 1500ltrs
Where the water enters the drum they just have a piece of Teflon that rides close to the edge and they have water that squeezes out there realy isn't a gasket or brushes to limit the amount of loss. While it appears to be 300 to 500 gallons it is not out of containment or flowing out the waste drain it just doesn't get filtered is all. Trying to come up with a better mouse trap.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cool build! I've been away working on other things and missed it. Will read through and catch up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
That's a good piece of advice for every pond builder - allow way more room than you think you need for accessing pumps and plumbing. Nothing worse than JUST BARELY getting it all to fit.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That's a good piece of advice for every pond builder - allow way more room than you think you need for accessing pumps and plumbing. Nothing worse than JUST BARELY getting it all to fit.
And a rework or adding on to the fixture. I'll also add if your a smaller frame and can get around if you ever sell or require maintenance a larger guy like myself would have to walk away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Exciting times , I'm filling the pond up for the first time 🎉, I hope I don't find any problems.

IMG20240724183221.jpg

It will take a day to fill, so plenty of times to check for leaks in the plumbing. 🤞

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
KEEPING MY FINGERS CROSSEDFROM ACROSSTHE POND \

Ask a Question