My pond is green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Most plants won't survive if planted 4 feet deep. Pond plants are usually planted 2 feet deep at the deepest. Most of them prefer even more shallow water.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well I can’t put anything in my pond, maybe a stack of bricks, but going by past results the algae will just grow on that
As I said I am not going to spend any more on this pond
I won’t be putting fish in there, they would just add to the green water problem

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Post some pictures.
But I will say this without seeing it . You realy don't have a pond a 10000 liters is a large aquarium and where it is out doors any thing that finds it's way to the water can effect the chemistry of your feature.
The more water to the feature the less it is affected by others.

If I was going to try and keep that small of a pond I would look at doing 25 percent water changes every week. I might even go as far as getting a filter for the water source if it's a well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Oh that's right I just scanned back your the one who asks for advice yet has to be to his liking. Good luck to you . Click ignore

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I am the person that asked for advice, none of which helped me
I don’t know where this website is but I don’t think it’s in the UK

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
1. Advice won’t help if you don’t take it.
2. Perhaps a bit of research before you started this project would have been a good investment.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Green water is perfectly normal for a new pond. Most ponds go through this phase. For some reason mine never did, but that is the exception.

This article may help you understand it:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have now bought 12 swan mussels for my pond, by all accounts they and the 30 odd snails should clear my pond in a couple of weeks with luck
Along with the floating plants, I should have no more problem
Anyone interested I’ll let them know

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have now bought 12 swan mussels for my pond, by all accounts they and the 30 odd snails should clear my pond in a couple of weeks with luck
Along with the floating plants, I should have no more problem
Anyone interested I’ll let them know
I am skeptical on if just snails and mussels will clear your water. Let us know how it goes and you must provide photo's :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ll let you know if it happens
I’ve had snails in a bucket for 2 weeks
I use the water from my pond, it’s very clear after a week, 10-12 snails in there

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pond, 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, 4 feet deep

It has a waterfall with sponge filters in it, fed by a pump, no fish, no plants yet

The water has gone green like pea soup

The pond is sterile, even the snails died, there are no frogs, newts, just a lot of bugs that I think are shrimp something like them

I have put in barley straw bundles in the hope they will clear this green water

I have been told to try this Walsted method

I’ve never heard of it

My pond was filled over a month ago now, probably longer

All I want is a clear pond to put fish in it

I am open to all suggestions

I haven’t put a net over it yet, no fish in there for the herons, but he does hang around
I have a pond, 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, 4 feet deep

It has a waterfall with sponge filters in it, fed by a pump, no fish, no plants yet

The water has gone green like pea soup

The pond is sterile, even the snails died, there are no frogs, newts, just a lot of bugs that I think are shrimp something like them

I have put in barley straw bundles in the hope they will clear this green water

I have been told to try this Walsted method

I’ve never heard of it

My pond was filled over a month ago now, probably longer

All I want is a clear pond to put fish in it

I am open to all suggestions

I haven’t put a net over it yet, no fish in there for the herons, but he does hang around

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi , I also had this problem , there is something you can buy on EBay or Amazon called Pond Clear , it is a liquid that you add to your pond and it will cure the green pea like water that you have and it is fish friendly too . I hope you find this useful. Good luck .

bjorn_toulouse

more of a puddle than a pond
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Buy lots of plants and add fish. I had a problem with string algae with my new pond this summer, added plants, added a bog filter (it already had a 3 in one filter with 17w UV light) still every day had to remove algae. Added some gold fish and after a few week I just leave it be and its a clear as a bell. Don't even feed the fish and they seem happy enough.

The UV light is meant to be be good for pea soup, don't know coz I have never had that problem.

Ask a Question