I don’t know what sex or gender you are
Oh, well I guess I have pissed of another person,

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What an ass. Come here ask for help then pull this crap!
Enjoy your green water I see clearly across the pond for 30 feet . You ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t know the sex or gender of anyone in this thread,
I don’t look at profiles
I just ask questions, take note of them, ask more questions, read reply’s
Then move on
I’ll ask more questions, read the replies, then see what replies I get
GGBudd, now I can read your replies without your signature, thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Not worth the bother @Lisak1 .

Thanks
Very weird flex from this one. "I have a problem and have someone who is helping me fix it who I will quote repeatedly, ignore anything helpful offered, and then complain that no one is answering my questions".

@Derrick when your koi buddy told you you needed to cycle your pond for 90 days, did you ask HIM what he meant? Or just nod along because he sells a lot of fish and has clear ponds? I've never sold a single fish, my pond is clear, and I know for a fact your koi friend is wrong. Lots of fish sellers know very little at all about pond keeping, sadly. In fact, I think many of them sell lots of fish because they give bad advice and the fish keep dying. And in any case, a dedicated koi pond is a different animal than an eco-style garden pond ,which is what most of us have here. HOWEVER there's not a koi keeper in the world who believe you just need to run an empty pond for three months to get it cycled. Well, except one I guess.

And I was kidding about being misgendered - it's just seems people will generally assume anyone who keeps a pond is a male. Lots of experienced females on this forum.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My original question was about the Walsted method, all I wanted was someone to tell me if they had heard of or tried it
I still have no idea what cycling a pond is supposed to do, google threw up a few interesting answers

The Koi bloke, breeds, imports and sells them, he has won a lot of competitions, cups, certificates, so I assume he knows a bit about fish, but I wont be keeping Koi in my pond, just goldfish
Yes you are right, plenty of women here, but as I said I dont check profiles, there is also lots of strange names that give no idea of their sex, gender, age
I usually highlight someone's name when I am reply to them (unless I can reply to their posting (like this one)

I am considering using chemicals now, but trying to find one with a 5 star reviews and actually work is nigh impossible

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Reread everything you can find about cycling a pond. Keep reading until you understand it. I'm amazed you have had a pond for any length of time and know nothing about it. To me, it's critical information for any pond keeper.

Chemicals won't solve the problem. The algae will just come back until the pond is balanced. That takes time and anytime you interfere with the process, you will delay that outcome. Find some patience and wait it out.

Again, please study the nitrogen cycle until you understand it, but your pond will never cycle without a source of ammonia, like fish.

Fish don't mind green water. In some ways it's actually healthier for them.

You might find information more to your liking on Koiphen.com. Maybe you should give them a try.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My VERY first pond was built over 40 years ago, I knew nothing about ponds, just that they were full of water
It was built with bricks, facing stones, lined with sand and cement
I know about as much about ponds as I did then, but I did learn about a pump, a filter box and cleaning the filters out monthly (which I do)
My figure 8 pond just has floating plants in it, that is doing fine (the brick and concrete one)
My neighbor threw dishwasher tablets into my pond, it killed all my fish, I watched him do it on my CCTV cameras
One survived, he is still in that pond, it was a daily ritual getting dead fish out of the pond every day, until they were all gone
This is the reason I bought this plastic tank and moved it away from him
No algae grows on the sides, bottom of this tank/pond, it just floats around
If I emptied it the insides would be clean as a whistle, even the snails starved to death

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Very weird flex from this one. "I have a problem and have someone who is helping me fix it who I will quote repeatedly, ignore anything helpful offered, and then complain that no one is answering my questions".

@Derrick when your koi buddy told you you needed to cycle your pond for 90 days, did you ask HIM what he meant? Or just nod along because he sells a lot of fish and has clear ponds? I've never sold a single fish, my pond is clear, and I know for a fact your koi friend is wrong. Lots of fish sellers know very little at all about pond keeping, sadly. In fact, I think many of them sell lots of fish because they give bad advice and the fish keep dying. And in any case, a dedicated koi pond is a different animal than an eco-style garden pond ,which is what most of us have here. HOWEVER there's not a koi keeper in the world who believe you just need to run an empty pond for three months to get it cycled. Well, except one I guess.

And I was kidding about being misgendered - it's just seems people will generally assume anyone who keeps a pond is a male. Lots of experienced females on this forum.
Lmao oh boy . No pun... not only do we have some hands on ladies on this site we have a couple bad ass Grandma's. I would not go down that road around here.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I still have no idea what cycling a pond is supposed to do, google threw up a few interesting answers
I told you where to go Fish wise.

If those two individuals can't educate you then I have one more site for you called demolition ranch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Country
United States
We had many days of 95+ temps with not much cooling at night. My pond turned pea green and got string algae for the first time in two years. I have gold fish, a water lily, mint in the granite rocks at the edge, and an underwater plant that I tame occasionally.

I found my problem: water circulates/cleanses from the filter box at pond level to the top of my waterfall (two perforated pipes) and pours down.

At the end of last season I made a modification based on some info from experienced pond people: I covered the pipes at the top with many river rocks - supposed to help filtration. As soon as I removed them and the string algae, no more string algae - full on water flow over the water fall.

For two weeks I've been cleaning the filter 2x/day. Slowly the pea green water is clearing up-will take time since we are still having warm/hot days/nights.

As others say, you should also add some plants to the pond The beginning of last summer I added a few different ones (zone 7). Only the parrot's feather (weighted to bottom at 3') and aquatic mint (growing in granite rock sides, no soil) survived the summer and winter.
6 Four-leaf clovers
12 Parrot’s Feather
2 Iris, Assorted
2 Umbrella Palm
6 Creeping Jenny
6 Anacharis
6 Purple Cabomba
6 Narrow-leaf Ludwigia

And clean the filter continously once you get some plants. I have one pad in the filter box - I clean it as needed and it has lasted many years.

After 10 years I'm still a novice seeking help from people on this forum. Like my garden, every year is an experiment. Best of luck with your pond - once it has settled you should have many years of enjoyment.
6 Aquatic Mint

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/7b depending on the map
Country
United States
I believe that everyone that has just installed a pond experiences green water. It's part of the process.
#1- Don't panic
#2- Keep your towel handy
That said, fill your pond. Add fish, and plants. I went out and dug up native plants from boggy areas near streams, and creeks. Put them in my pond. Then went out and got some others from the store.
Water was green for a while, fish thrived, and life went on. I worried, and fretted about the green water, dumping all manner of "clarifiers", "algacides", and other stuff in it to no avail. Finally, I said ta heck with it, and let it go. Nature took over. One day I went out and water was crystal clear, and has been ever since.
Algae is not a bad thing, It's just ugly. It doesn't last long, if you have plants, and fish, and leave it the heck alone. I tried all manner of mechanical filters to filter out the solids, but the nutrients that feed the algae remain. As a result, the algae also remained. If you were to look at my pond right now you would probably think to yourself: "how it this possible?" Because I got to the point where I just simply don't care any more. I let it do what it does, let nature take it's course. And as a result, I have clear water, happy fish, frogs, salamanders, dragonflies, etc.

Yes, put some blocks to set the pots with some plants on. The blocks will also provide a hiding place for the fish. Be patient, the only thing that will clear up your pond overnight is a gallon of bleach, which will kill all life in the pond.

Algae is a plant. You need more desirable plants to out compete the algae.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just left my pond, I’ve put in floating plants, they are in these floating ring things
Any plant I planted in the Bolton of the pond just died, they never got any sunlight because the water was just too green (the pond I’d 4 feet deep)
I’ve changed the filers in the filter box, they were just full of algae, gave em a rinse and put em back
My pond has become a chore now, I hate it, I wish I hadn’t spent all this money and time on it, 2 days digging it out, 1000£ for the pond, £120 for the filter box and 110£ for the pump
I’ve spent countless hours on this pond
Now it’s just there

Ask a Question