My pond is green

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My filter box is fed from the pump to the bottom of the filter box, it goes through the plastic balls, then through the filter clothes, then the 3 foam filters, grade course, medium, then fine
The medium traps the really bad stuff, the others filter the smaller particles
As long as the filter pads are cleaned every week they might do the job
The plastic balls trap the mud in them, they get washed out as well, but I try and keep as many bug life in there as I can
My pump says its supposed to pump 4000 liters and hour, I think it must be close because it can empty my pond in about an hour
Anyway have a look at the pictures

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3834.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3834.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_3835.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3835.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_IMG_3836.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3836.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 10
  • thumbnail_IMG_3837.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3837.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 9
  • thumbnail_IMG_3838.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3838.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 9
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a pond, 6 feet long, 3 feet wide, 4 feet deep

It has a waterfall with sponge filters in it, fed by a pump, no fish, no plants yet

The water has gone green like pea soup

The pond is sterile, even the snails died, there are no frogs, newts, just a lot of bugs that I think are shrimp something like them

I have put in barley straw bundles in the hope they will clear this green water

I have been told to try this Walsted method

I’ve never heard of it

My pond was filled over a month ago now, probably longer

All I want is a clear pond to put fish in it

I am open to all suggestions

I haven’t put a net over it yet, no fish in there for the herons, but he does hang around
I had the same prob. Most likely caused by direct sunlight. I bought this pump/filter system & it’s crystal clear. I was so sick of not being able too see the fish! My ponds abt the size of yours with a waterfall. This pump/filter has a hose on each end. You take the “out” hose & put it on your lawn & pull up the handle which squishes all the filter media inside & pushes all the green gunk onto your lawn. Then just put the “out” hose back in the pond & your done for the day. Takes all of 5 minutes a day. Everyone says use plants (which I have) blah blah blah. It don’t matter-it’s still green without the pump. This also has a ultraviolet light the water passes around inside the pump that KILzlS the algae! Under 200 Bux, worth a Million!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had the same prob. Most likely caused by direct sunlight. I bought this pump/filter system & it’s crystal clear. I was so sick of not being able too see the fish! My ponds abt the size of yours with a waterfall. This pump/filter has a hose on each end. You take the “out” hose & put it on your lawn & pull up the handle which squishes all the filter media inside & pushes all the green gunk onto your lawn. Then just put the “out” hose back in the pond & your done for the day. Takes all of 5 minutes a day. Everyone says use plants (which I have) blah blah blah. It don’t matter-it’s still green without the pump. This also has a ultraviolet light the water passes around inside the pump that KILzlS the algae! Under 200 Bux, worth a Million!
PS I have koi, goldies & gamboozies. This pump IS the only way to go!

Reaction score
Country
United States
PS I have koi, goldies & gamboozies. This pump IS the only way to go!
Jeez-here is is (I hope). I have the one for 189.00

The Pond Guy SimplyClear Pressurized Filtration System​

Biological Filter & UV Clarifier​

104 Reviews
See reviews summary
The Pond Guy SimplyClear View Product Image
the-pond-guy-simplyclear-1000__79182.1645548343.jpg

The Pond Guy SimplyClear

• Three Types of Filtration, One Powerful Unit
  • Perfect for Existing or New Ponds
  • Filters Ponds up to 1,250 Gallons
$189.99 - $350.98

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Derrick a reply from England :)
I have a pond similar size with plants and fish.
Last year pre Christmas I did a complete water change crystal clear and all was good. Over the spring and early summer it started to go into a pea soup appearance despite regular cleaning of my filters (not killing beneficial bacteria) and adding “green away”, “sludge buster” and “pond barley extract“. On Aug 2nd when cleaning filters I checked my UV light in the pump. Guess what it wasn’t working so I when and changed it (costing £12), over a period of 3 weeks my pond has become crystal clear again and remained so to this day.
As other posters have mentioned Marion and the person in Glasgow. The UV will kill this algae that causes the pea soup by damaging the DNA of it, causing it to clump that will then be trapped by the filters.
Hope it helps.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jeez-here is is (I hope). I have the one for 189.00

The Pond Guy SimplyClear Pressurized Filtration System​

Biological Filter & UV Clarifier​

104 Reviews
See reviews summary
The Pond Guy SimplyClear View Product Image
the-pond-guy-simplyclear-1000__79182.1645548343.jpg

The Pond Guy SimplyClear

• Three Types of Filtration, One Powerful Unit
  • Perfect for Existing or New Ponds
  • Filters Ponds up to 1,250 Gallons
$189.99 - $350.98

Reaction score
Country
United States
Derrick a reply from England :)
I have a pond similar size with plants and fish.
Last year pre Christmas I did a complete water change crystal clear and all was good. Over the spring and early summer it started to go into a pea soup appearance despite regular cleaning of my filters (not killing beneficial bacteria) and adding “green away”, “sludge buster” and “pond barley extract“. On Aug 2nd when cleaning filters I checked my UV light in the pump. Guess what it wasn’t working so I when and changed it (costing £12), over a period of 3 weeks my pond has become crystal clear again and remained so to this day.
As other posters have mentioned Marion and the person in Glasgow. The UV will kill this algae that causes the pea soup by damaging the DNA of it, causing it to clump that will then be trapped by the filters.
Hope it helps.
Yes that UV light works wonders on algae!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes that UV light works wonders on algae!
I got told to remove my UV light as it caused a mutation of the algae, so I did, I don’t have this algae in my pond any more
I’ve tried not to use chemicals in my pond, the straw bales rotted and blocked my pump

Reaction score
Country
United States
Almost no one has completely legal plants in their pond. I've got invasives that are illegal in my pond (purple loosestrife, frogbit, brassica) and you'll find most other people have invasives in their ponds, whether they're illegal or not (creeping jenny, for example). The simple fact is that most pond plants that you can buy at ponding stores are invasives. Don't let that stop you from using them. Just dispose of them responsibly. I tried to go natives early on and had no success. Once I gave up and bought popular invasives, my pond started thriving:
View attachment 165814
With all those plants-u can’t see the fish so what’s the point. A good filter system is the only way to fly. Gotta have the uv light to kill algae. I have Lillie pads too but not so many that I can’t watch my fish

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got told to remove my UV light as it caused a mutation of the algae, so I did, I don’t have this algae in my pond any more
I’ve tried not to use chemicals in my pond, the straw bales rotted and blocked my pump
Well my uv is priceless. Never heard of algae mutation. Never had a prob since I got the light & filter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got told to put plants in my pond, now I get told I’ve got to many, of course I can’t see the fish, there isn’t any in there

Ask a Question