My pond is green

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I've been told by a koi fish keeper, my pond has to cycle for 80-90 days (no idea what that means)
Before you do anything else, read the link to the AquaScape article that I posted! Never heard of such an extreme period of time for cycling. When I started my pond, I added water, some quick-start nitrifying bacteria, and waited a few days before adding a few goldfish. That was 3 years ago and I've never lost any fish to anything other than predation. It's not that difficult.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Clear water is not sterile water. There are all sorts of bacteria, micronutrients, minerals, and microscopic creatures in the water. When you expose that water to air and sunlight, those micronutrients and critters grow, creating waste products that are even more nutrients.

Enter algae from spores blown in or already in the water from the source. It has the perfect environment to grow and your pond has no competition for it to thrive.

Adding plants can out-compete the algae. Fish waste can feed the plants.

There are a multitude of pond plants available. Irises, sedges, any of the grasses that live in water, are good at taking up those nutrients. They are usually grown in pots in the pond.

Barley straw is not very effective. It will rot in the water and add even more nutrients. You need something that is actively growing in there, plants.

Yes, it can take a while to cycle a pond, and what is happening is perfectly normal. But if you want to help it out, you need to add plants, lots of them.

Shading the pond will also help, as will adding air to the pond.

You need to do some research and understand what you have gotten into. There is plenty of information on this website and multitudes of other sites online.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I can add plants but my pond 3 feet deep, not many plant can live that deep
I could put in floating plants and put stacks of bricks to stand pots on
It would be somewhere for the snails and bugs to live I guess

Reaction score
Country
United States
The goal absolutely is clear water with fish and plants. I meant that a clear pond with no algae or fish or plants is more like a swimming pool........it takes chemicals to keep water and walls of a pond that clear. Refill your pond. If it is chlorinated city water, add dechlorinator sold at pond stores or online per the label.

In a few days or even in a few hours, add pond plants and goldfish. Just get inexpensive ones til you are sure your pond is up and running. You can get fancier goldfish in the future.

It is normal for there to be an algae bloom in the first month then it will settle down. This happens again every spring when the algae grows faster than the plants are able to wake up and grow and outcompete them. Don't use algaecide. Just grab out the algae by hand or with a pole or brush.

I added plants and fish within days of my pond being full. I didn't let it cycle for a month. The algae bloom is a normal part of starting up a pond. You just need to know that once the pond is up and running it should improve.

If it is not improving, you can get more tips on what to do.

The quilt stuffing/ batting filter is a quick way to get the little particles of algae out of green water. The string algae needs to be taken out manually. But it doesn't sound like you have that, yet. You will. It's just part of having a pond and it gives fish something to eat .

If there is no pond plant store nearby, you can order plants online. Some pond plants are sold as non aquatic plants too and could be at a regular garden center.

Once you get your pond going, it will bring you enjoyment. But that comes with intermittent stresses too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A koi keeper, huh? Are you planning to keep a koi pond?

What exactly will make your pond "cycle" with no plants and no fish? Do you know what "cycle" even means in reference to a pond?

Your pond is 3 feet deep so you can't add plants? I wish someone had told me that before I planted mine chock full of plants... the things you learn here.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well, what plants you got in your pond?

I have no idea why cycling a pond means
I think it’s just leaving it for a while before putting fish or plants in it
My tap filter pad has now got a lot of algae in it, I’ll be rinsing it out and putting it back
I have been told by a koi fisher keeper, that ponds suffer from an algae bloom in the spring and early summer, it is normal, it will clear in time

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
@Derrick are you PLANNING a dedicated koi pond?

Your koi fish keeper friend is incorrect. I have never had an algae bloom that has turned my pond green. Ever. Ponds DO turn green. But they don't HAVE to.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well he seems to make a pretty good living selling his Koi
And his ponds are pristine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So far I have but I won’t be keeping Koi, just goldfish
I have a dozen on order

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
As someone already said, look up the nitrogen cycle. That is what cycling means.

You need to do your homework and learn about your pond. We all have to start somewhere, but we also have done a lot of reading and studying about ponds on our way. You need to know what you are doing or you will just end up with a disaster, for your pond,your fish and yourself.

Come here and ask as many questions as you want. We will be happy to help you. But please keep an open mind and do your own research. Your po d will be better for it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Liskar1 said he has plants in his pond, I asked what kind, he never said what plants he has got

I have two ponds, first one built 40 years ago, made from bricks and cement, floating plants, pump feeding a box filer with plastic balls in it and 3 sponge filters, there is 8 goldfish and 2 grass koi in there
I lost my big koi to a heron, it got under the netting, got caught up in it
I have never had the problems I have with this plastic pond
The only thing different with this plastic pond is it has a waterfall filer in it and gets sunlight all day, I think that is the cause of the green water

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I would strongly suggest two you tubers and go watch all of their videos. Get educated in visuals and then come on back and maybe then we can guide you to a pond of your dreams.
Your thinking like a human and a habitat for your self. WRONG THINKING.
Father fish is an aquarium guy and oz pond start with them then we can go to high-school

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Liskar1 said he has plants in his pond, I asked what kind, he never said what plants he has got

I have two ponds, first one built 40 years ago, made from bricks and cement, floating plants, pump feeding a box filer with plastic balls in it and 3 sponge filters, there is 8 goldfish and 2 grass koi in there
I lost my big koi to a heron, it got under the netting, got caught up in it
I have never had the problems I have with this plastic pond
The only thing different with this plastic pond is it has a waterfall filer in it and gets sunlight all day, I think that is the cause of the green water
No the first difference is VOLUME a plastic pond has little to know where for nature to take root

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I am a she. Not a he. You can get in big trouble for that these days.

Anyway, name a pond plant. I'm sure I have it. Lilies, lotuses, rushes, grasses, irises, marigolds, forget me nots, water celery, floating hearts, lizard tail, arum, swamp milkweed, watercress, water hyacinth... take your pick. Get some plants.

Ask a Question