JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I notice the purple ones I have sure like to drop seeds and multiply.

Yep, they really do! I removed a bunch two years after planting them because there was so many popping up. Lately I really don't care and just kind of let the garden do whatever it wants to do. I needed more September-October flowers for the bees anyway.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Southwest Airline's special "Illinois One" paint scheme flew over today. I saw this one back in March at a distance. It was closer this time.

IMG_9704 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I found out at exactly 8:05 tonight that starlink satellites were going over... at 8:05! I immediately grabbed my camera and ran outside. To my surprise they were actually very bright. I wish it was possible for me to capture the line of dots you actually see with your own eyes, but the best I can do is a line.

IMG_9782 copy.jpg

IMG_9785 copy.jpg

IMG_9783 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I found out at exactly 8:05 tonight that starlink satellites were going over... at 8:05! I immediately grabbed my camera and ran outside. To my surprise they were actually very bright. I wish it was possible for me to capture the line of dots you actually see with your own eyes, but the best I can do is a line.

View attachment 165783

View attachment 165781

View attachment 165782
We have gone outside at night at times to view Starlink also. Amazing views!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Any time I see an old plane, I look into it a bit just in case it has an interesting history. As it turns out, this one does. This 1950 Piper PA-20 Pacer was once owned by Max Conrad, who broke several aviation records (in other Piper aircraft) in the 50's and 60's. With this exact aircraft, he made a successful transatlantic flight in 1950 from New Jersey to Geneva, Switzerland and back. B-17's accompanied him on part of his flight to help with navigation.

IMG_9916 copy.jpg

Screenshot 2024-09-30 132606.png

Here's a photo I found of the same aircraft, with a different paint scheme back then. Just about every part has been replaced since then, but the frame is still original. This photo was taken after he reached New York.

n7330k.png

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been sort of obsessed with space recently. I think the northern lights and Perseids are partly to blame.

Here's a photo I took tonight of Ursa Minor. Also called Little Bear or Little Dipper. Hard to actually see with the naked eye where I live. So much light pollution now days.

20240930_232443.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I found the Andromeda Galaxy in one of my photos. It's the furthest thing away that the naked eye can see (2.5 million lightyears away), but you have to be far away from light pollution to see it.

startcopy3.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Back home from my camping trip. It was an incredible few days. Got to see Comet C/2023 again, because although it was no longer visible at home, in the forest it still was! Here it is behind the Rawley Point Lighthouse. I'll have plenty of photos to share with you all once I have the time to go through them.

IMG_20241020_194454041 copy.jpg

Ask a Question