JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ok... This might be the final post about this. I almost promise. 😅 (it won't be, I'll probably be sharing video when I edit it together)

I went back over there this afternoon and they jumped! It was unreal! I counted 115 in one of my photos. Watching them come down was fun, but then you hear this incredible sound of 115 chutes opening. And then they just glided down all around me. I've never seen anything like it and I probably never will again. So amazing.

And I should acknowledge that there was one injury. One of the guys hit the ground pretty hard. He laid there for awhile, I think he eventually stood up but then got back down and ambulances arrived. Hopefully he'll be ok. Probably broke something on impact.

IMG_6392 copy.jpg

IMG_6400 copy.jpg

IMG_6403 copy.jpg

IMG_6406 copy.jpg

IMG_6408 copy.jpg

IMG_6414 copy.jpg

IMG_6416 copy.jpg

IMG_6427 copy.jpg
IMG_6433 copy.jpg

IMG_6450 copy.jpg

IMG_6459 copy.jpg

IMG_6462 copy.jpg

IMG_6465 copy.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ok... This might be the final post about this. I almost promise. 😅 (it won't be, I'll probably be sharing video when I edit it together)

I went back over there this afternoon and they jumped! It was unreal! I counted 115 in one of my photos. Watching them come down was fun, but then you hear this incredible sound of 115 chutes opening. And then they just glided down all around me. I've never seen anything like it and I probably never will again. So amazing.

And I should acknowledge that there was one injury. One of the guys hit the ground pretty hard. He laid there for awhile, I think he eventually stood up but then got back down and ambulances arrived. Hopefully he'll be ok. Probably broke something on impact.

View attachment 165086

View attachment 165087

View attachment 165088
View attachment 165089

View attachment 165090

View attachment 165091

View attachment 165092

View attachment 165093View attachment 165094

View attachment 165095

View attachment 165096

View attachment 165097

View attachment 165098
Would be so fun to watch and I hope that guy will be ok! Wonder why he hit so hard?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Would be so fun to watch and I hope that guy will be ok! Wonder why he hit so hard?

I didn't see it happen, but I unknowingly got three or four photos immediately after he came down. Not sure if he tried landing on his feet or not, in my photos he's down and rolling to ease the momentum. I also got photos of him in the air about 5 seconds earlier and everything looked good. I can only guess he possibly hit his brakes a bit too high/too hard and it caused him to come down faster than ideal in the last 20 feet.

Other than that it looked like everyone landed safely. There were a a handful that had to land out in a soybean field. They had a long walk back 😆

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here it is. All my video and photos from the record attempt. Videos are a bit all over the place as usual when I'm trying to split my time between getting video and photos, plus there was so much going on it was hard to focus on it all.

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Here it is. All my video and photos from the record attempt. Videos are a bit all over the place as usual when I'm trying to split my time between getting video and photos, plus there was so much going on it was hard to focus on it all.

Great job on the vid and the photo's I like the song you picked for it too! What a nice weather day for it all!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Great job on the vid and the photo's I like the song you picked for it too! What a nice weather day for it all!

Thank you! I like the song too, hopefully Youtube doesn't mute my audio because of it being a copyrighted song. 😅 Should be fine but I guess I'll find out.

In hindsight I wish I had brought my other camera too. I could have set it up on a tripod and captured a lot of their landings. I'll have to keep that in mind if something like this ever happens again.

Reaction score
Country
United States
So, I went over to the airport today! So much fun - Got to watch them load up and take off. They climbed to 17,000, but then I noticed on my flight radar that they started coming back down. The drop was called off. I watched the planes come back in and land and went home. But I got to see some planes up close and it was fun. Very unique being this close to a runway - only about 260 feet away!
View attachment 165073

View attachment 165074

View attachment 165075

View attachment 165076

View attachment 165077

View attachment 165078

View attachment 165079

View attachment 165080

View attachment 165081

View attachment 165082

View attachment 165083

View attachment 165084
Do you know why they called it off?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Do you know why they called it off?

I think there was probably too many clouds by the time they were ready to jump, but I'm not entirely sure.

When they make the call that they're going up, there's a process that takes about an hour. First they had to load up about 50 people total in two planes. Those two planes would then transport those people to another nearby airport where they'd all load into a larger plane. Then the two empty planes would fly back, load up again along with two other planes, then all five planes had to take off, meet up, and climb to 17,000 feet. It was quite a process. There was a decent patch of blue sky when they decided to go up, but over that hour more clouds moved in and there was very little open sky above the airport.

They dealt with poor weather all week aside from their first practice day on Wednesday. Thursday was supposed to be another big practice day and it was completely rained out. Friday was their first day for the record-breaking jumps and I think they were only able to get in one 120-skydiver jump all day. Saturday they only had two. And I'm not sure they attempted any record on Sunday. I haven't seen any celebratory posts anywhere, so I don't think they were successful in breaking any records. If I find out otherwise I'll make a mention of it. But if they didn't, hopefully it means they'll all come back next year and try again. I'd love to watch something like this again. These are some of the most experienced skydivers from all over the country, so I imagine it's logistically difficult to get it all together. Four of the five planes are also from out of state.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
They broke the vertical formation record yesterday! This was the smaller of the two they were trying to break.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 122125.png

But did not break the record for largest formation.

Screenshot 2024-08-19 141909.png

Last edited:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm never doing it but it's amazing to see! would you do it, skydiving?

I don't think I'd be too scared to do it but I also don't really have any interest in doing it. I know the company posted somewhere that if you don't want to jump and just want to go up for a ride in their aircraft they offer that, so if anything I'd probably do that one day. Although that might actually be scarier - I've seen how fast they dive back down after the skydivers jump. 😂

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I don't think I'd be too scared to do it but I also don't really have any interest in doing it. I know the company posted somewhere that if you don't want to jump and just want to go up for a ride in their aircraft they offer that, so if anything I'd probably do that one day. Although that might actually be scarier - I've seen how fast they dive back down after the skydivers jump. 😂
I wouldn't even do that! My feet belong on the ground :love:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I don't know what's going on this year but the assortment of aircraft I've seen has been unreal. Here's what I've seen today and yesterday. I missed a good one of a C-130 yesterday, but you can't win 'em all. 😁

AF2
IMG_6708 copy1.jpg

C-17
IMG_6578 copy.jpg

KC-46
IMG_6636 copy.jpg

KC-135
IMG_6682 copy.jpg

Dassault Falcon
IMG_6648 copy.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Been toooooo busy. My new shed finally came. No hurricanes or rain.
Friday caregivers class.
20240822_115023.jpg

Bought Sealant and deck paint for the floor, did the sealant saturday am, looked at the pond , down one foot! The bog finally tipped to the over flow excess plant growth. Been planning on purging it.
So saturday ripped out wagon loads of plants in the afternoon. 5 hours of water later full again

Sunday painted the shed, had to go buy more, needed 4 gallons , very thick paint. Went and bought 2 more gallons, applied. Now sitting on butt doing nothing! 3:34 pm lol

Stain
20240824_121658.jpg

20240825_154951.jpg

Paint

Ask a Question