JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I just saw the northern lights and I am shocked! Living in Southern Wisconsin and near a large city, I never thought it would be possible.

They were super dull, not like the picturesque ones you see, but to see lights in the sky moving around like that was really cool.

Only had a short window before clouds moved back in. Hoping to go out later and see more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We had a freeze warning overnight - had to cover a bunch of stuff and bring others back in. Wouldn't you know it, it only got to 37. Good...all the outdoor newborns need it warmer. I'm hopeful that the owls from last year have another batch of babies nearby. Come on spring!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
We had a freeze warning overnight - had to cover a bunch of stuff and bring others back in. Wouldn't you know it, it only got to 37. Good...all the outdoor newborns need it warmer. I'm hopeful that the owls from last year have another batch of babies nearby. Come on spring!
I've found that incandescent Christmas lights really do provide just enough heat to keep stuff warm (yes, yes, in Florida where 32 degrees is a shocker a night or two a year) and they don't blow around in the wind.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Starting Tuesday we get rid of the rain and make it to 60f and then up in the 70's for the next few days, yahoooooooooooo mountain dew :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I've found that incandescent Christmas lights really do provide just enough heat to keep stuff warm (yes, yes, in Florida where 32 degrees is a shocker a night or two a year) and they don't blow around in the wind.
Another good idea! We used to do that for our plants in AZ.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I took a few photos last night to see if my camera could capture the northern lights. I didn't think I was successful, but on second look, I see a super faint pillar of light in this particular photo that I think might be the northern lights. Might be hard to see here on the forum because of the lower image quality.

IMG_3313 copy1.jpg

Ask a Question