What is your weather like ... today

YShahar

Enthusiastic duct-tape engineer
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Well, guess what's heading our way?

Yep. Major sandstorm and ferociously hot, dry weather. The above video was shot at the Suez Canal.

Here's what it looked like down south yesterday:

And our main airport (30 minutes south of me):

And all that stuff is now settling over my pond and creeping into the house through badly sealed windows. Aaargh! May have to redig the pond. And I'm definitely going to need to give my fish a bath after this!

Days like this, I feel like we should all be living underground! Have I mentioned "aaargh"?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b/10a
Country
United States
Good luck, YShahar.
An "aaargh?!" from Florida's Gulf [of Mexico] Coast (Tampa), too. We're on the second day of Hurricane Season and Tropical Depression 2 has formed in the Gulf. We could use some rain to ease a drought here, but perhaps we'll get lucky with not much wind. Hold on to your hats (and no underground here to live in; we'd be mermaids).

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Good luck! We are drifting into a bad drought year. Lots of drooping plants. I don't water the wild fields.
Very dry.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
while your sand storm is a nightmare we can only begin to fathom, it will benefit the rest of us that dust helps create storm clouds. Your pond is narrow enough i'd consider a teepee like some here in cold weather build over their ponds to protect from freezing . Good luck my friend i do hope it's not to bad and ends soon for you.

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
while your sand storm is a nightmare we can only begin to fathom, it will benefit the rest of us that dust helps create storm clouds. Your pond is narrow enough i'd consider a teepee like some here in cold weather build over their ponds to protect from freezing . Good luck my friend i do hope it's not to bad and ends soon for you.

Well, the temperature is supposed to go down a bit overnight, which will lead to some dew precipitating out. That will freshen things up a bit. I've got humidifiers running full blast in here, and even so, I feel like my eyeballs have sandpaper in them! Blech.

But yes, tomorrow should be better. By the time we get back to work on Sunday, things should be back to what passes for normal around here. Dusty, but normal...

So enjoy the storm clouds! You may get little grains from my garden along with it. In fact, the way the statistics work, you almost certainly will!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Good luck, YShahar.
An "aaargh?!" from Florida's Gulf [of Mexico] Coast (Tampa), too. We're on the second day of Hurricane Season and Tropical Depression 2 has formed in the Gulf. We could use some rain to ease a drought here, but perhaps we'll get lucky with not much wind. Hold on to your hats (and no underground here to live in; we'd be mermaids).

Yikes! I hope you get the rain without the gale force winds.

From a Sand Rat to a Mermaid, I salute you!

YShahar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
Israel
Good luck! We are drifting into a bad drought year. Lots of drooping plants. I don't water the wild fields.
Very dry.

I hope you'll get some rain over there. Here, we won't be seeing any until next November, alas. I've watered a few of the plants that I planted this past winter, just to get them through this. By next year, they should be able to make it on their own.

Yikes! Getting late here. I should sign off and finish pre-Shabbat preparations.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
95 today, tomorrow 83 then low 70s.

Very low chance of any rain. In MD plants are used to wet. When in AZ plants used to dry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
We have had nearly no rain for almost 3 weeks. Very dry here. Thank goodness we can afford (and are allowed) to water the flowers and landscaping.
Today is our first big chance of rain, hoping to get a bunch! About an inch of slow and steady soaking rain would be amazing!!! Weather last night said “up to an inch”, but the radar today, while they are saying chance of rain is 100%, looks like very spotty, so maybe not a big chance of much accumulation. Hoping for the best!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One good thing about a well, unless it runs dry, free water, sort of . Do need to payfor the pump power used.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
We had rain for the last two days and it was wonderful. Really gave our dry everything a nice free watering. Us too free great tasting well water, just pay for the electricity to run it.
Sun coming back today and will be w/us for several more till some rain again maybe on Friday. We had the warmest May ever this year! Loved it!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes but wells do fail. they dry up or another neighbor taps into your feed

Ask a Question