What does your pond look like ... Today?

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I have the same tree near the pond Big Lou, I can recognize those needles anywhere. Man are they a pain to clean out of the pond. They get all wrapped up with my elodia and parrot feather.
The pond is beautiful, I love the moss and the wood. Very serene.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
A very beautiful, peaceful spot, Lou. @tbendl mentioned needles in the pond - I sympathize with both of you - and ponders everywhere regarding fir and pine needles, leaves etc. falling in the pond at this time of year. Our pond is surrounded by tall Douglas firs and cedars. They sure make a mess here in Autumn. Here's the oldest one, we call Treebeard:
image.jpg

morewater

President, Raccoon Haters International
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
Canada
Those pine needles, if left to sink to the bottom and rot, will be a bigger problem for your pond water pH than rainwater (which others on this forum consider to be toxic, unclean....etc., etc.).

Hope you've got a skimmer installed. That would save you a lot of work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Those pine needles, if left to sink to the bottom and rot, will be a bigger problem for your pond water pH than rainwater (which others on this forum consider to be toxic, unclean....etc., etc.).

Hope you've got a skimmer installed. That would save you a lot of work.
I only have a hand skimmer. They generally blow down to one end or the other so, it's not too bad. I figured they were probably bad for the water so, I have always been
conscientious about removing them.

On a side note, the fish are loving life. A few weeks ago, I figured I had about 50 trout 5 to 7 inches long. Now I think I have about 100. Just before feeding time, they are just inches from the surface, waiting for the food.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am still finding fry, tiny little fishies, don't they know winter is coming?

Reaction score
I am still finding fry, tiny little fishies, don't they know winter is coming?
I don't want fry, or carnage!!! I need to sterilize my fish. With this fall being the start to my fish outside I have had no spawning yet, I don't think. I did notice a rosy red minnow looking plump today!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Mine were out there squeezing through the bunch of reed grass I have in the pond trying to spawn. With the warm weather we are having they think it's still Summer. Crazy kids! I don't think any babies that even hatched would make it through winter would they?
Oh and the Great Blue Heron came for a short visit today. I was trying to be quiet and watch what he was up to but my hubby made a racket and scared him off.

Ask a Question