What does your pond look like ... Today?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have to watch the forecast for each winter night, turning off the water and bringing in the sprinklers when there's a threat of freezing, @j.w. - a bit of a hassle but it keeps me out of trouble. The only problem is, when my sprinklers are put away on cold days and nights, the raccoons come to visit...

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
All beautiful. Is one group of your plants water lettuce? When mature how big are your trout? What species?
Thanks, Lou. Yes, the plants in the second shot are water lettuce. The trout are Rainbows (Oncorhynchus mykiss). The largest is twenty inches and roughly 5 lbs. I hope to grow them to 10+ pounds. They leave the koi and goldies alone, more interested in hassling each other over food, territory etc...

Reaction score
Desoto, Texas (Dallas County) North Texas, Zone 8a
Showcase(s):
Thank you for the information. I plan to put water lettuce in our pond next spring. Does it die in the winter? Very nice trout. Once spent a bundle to go on a trout fishing trip. The stream is filled with rainbows. Didn't catch a single one. Had fun though. Once had bream in my pond but they only appeared while being feed.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well, the pond doesn't look too nice anymore. most of the lily pads were at least somewhat green before I left for my camping trip, and when I got back, as you can see, most are yellow.
DSCN7362.jpg

...but I did get one last surprise. One of my aquatic Forget-Me-Nots in the bog bloomed.
DSCN7359.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You could make a floating island but you might sink using the heavy bike rims. Guess you could make an over hanging deck thingy out over the pond to attach it too. Hope the foods not too bad in the gray bar hotel T :cool:

Ask a Question