What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Taken this morning in the mist. A 7 shot pano with some fall color and a bit of fog. The mallards came in while I was taken the shots. You can see the male in the shot

The pond with fall color and fog by Rob & Amy Lavoie, on Flickr
How do you handle the leaf clean up in your pond? I made a pvc frame with netting zip tied for my stream but it look hideous!!! Working on 12x12 pond frame now, don't like it but then I don't want tannis either.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
How do you handle the leaf clean up in your pond? I made a pvc frame with netting zip tied for my stream but it look hideous!!! Working on 12x12 pond frame now, don't like it but then I don't want tannis either.
The skimmer does most of the work and then I net off the remainder. Right now I have to empty the skimmer everyday and sometimes twice a day. That big tree is a pear tree, they are done dropping now but the skimmer would get some everyday. I should take a picture of the pile of leaves I have taken out of the skimmer, amazing amount so far. I would guess the skimmer gets about 80% of all the debris. I catch a lot of the pine needles too that drop in the stream in the skimmer. It is no means maintenance free but very doable without a net.

Reaction score
Does your water turn tannis? My skimmer is doing a good job and have only netted a skripit out of pond bottom but my water is turning a slight brown.
I did find a bunch of leaves stuck(newbie) in my falls drop and wonder if that small amount turned my water? After our rains I plan to do some small water changes to get it cleared before shutting it down for winter. MUST HAVE CLEAR WATER, I hope.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
What kind of palms are they? Check on line to see what zone they are good to, see if they might make it outside. They are so pretty!
It's a cordyline. If it starts to look yucky, I will drag them into the sun room. I think they look so pretty on either side of the bog. Got them planted this weekend.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
I have 3 Cordyline in containers here and I have to move them into the garage in winter when temps go to freezing. They are getting big. Yours looks like a different variety than I have.
IMG_6188.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Bought the containers at either Lowes or H-depot and hubby made the square frame w/wheels to set the containers on.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
You got that right addy...........he tries to make everything he can. Right now he's making me a galvanized steel container to hold cat food bags so meeces can't get it. He was making me a windmill but it's on hold cuz he says he has more pressing things on his plate right now.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One half of my maple is red and almost leafless, the other half is still green and full of leaves. crazy tree

Ask a Question