What does your pond look like ... Today?

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Fish, Ted your cat was hard to find as he blends right into that rock!
Lilies popping up to the surface and fish are getting fed here now. If I didn't start feeding them they would devour all my Hornwort :confused:

IMG_5682.JPG

IMG_5663.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My pond is mucky but seems to have slightly improved. Until it does, here's a photo of my Sweet Woodruff. It spread nicely over winter. A lot more than what I had last year but not so much that its uncontrollable. Can't wait to have this stuff spread into my bog.
DSCN4897.jpg

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Fishy love, that cat was VERY hard to find on the sand colored rock, for a long while I did not see him at all!!

JW Your horn wort looks AWESOME!!!!! Mine is almost munched to nothing now, and will have to regrow all over again!!

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Those bunches that look real nice I just pulled out of another bin of water that I had growing in w/o fish. I suppose if I don't keep up on feeding the piggies they will devour those too!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5a
Country
United States
Fishylove, I found your kitty right away but only after I read your caption! That is cute that he is drinking from the little fountain.

Colleen you have such a nice bright layer of green on your pond liner. Mine hasn't been that kind of green color since I first filled the pond. Mine just looks kinda brownish. I like the bright green color. Maybe its just your crystal clear water!

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Very nice Colleen :)

What's the plant with the yellow flowers? I like it
It is the very hardy Marsh Marigold, good for extreme cold tempertures only, this plant is zone 2 and will rot if it does not freeze hard over the winter. The colder the winter and spring, the better this plant looks!! It was a very long cold winter this year, and so it looks extra good! It will die back in the summer, but should bloom again in the late fall.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="

Colleen you have such a nice bright layer of green on your pond liner. Mine hasn't been that kind of green color since I first filled the pond. Mine just looks kinda brownish. I like the bright green color. Maybe its just your crystal clear water![/QUOTE]
Thanks you Haver! That is a green dense carpet of algae, mowed down daily by the koi. I think it is so green cause it gets lots of sun, plus I never take pond apart ever to clean, I only clean the filters, net the botton, and the pond water runs all winter between the three ponds, so the algae is alway growing well, but kept short and tidy by the big koi! :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It is the very hardy Marsh Marigold, good for extreme cold tempertures only, this plant is zone 2 and will rot if it does not freeze hard over the winter.

it does good in zone 5 too. a nature trail I visit has a ton of them growing in the river.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Not the same plant, you are probably confusing it with with this other plant that looks very similar, JW thought it was the same too, but would not do well in zone 5 and dies off in the heat of the summer. You are confusing the Marsh Marigold for the noxious weed, Ranunculaceae, otherwise known as fig buttercup or crowfoot...

Marsh Marigold must freeze very very hard, and would not grow well in zone 5 with your hot spring. I live in zone 2/3 and the year before it did not freeze long or hard enough and barely grew that spring. Marsh Marigold only does well in zone 2 or 3. It is an extreme cold plant, suited best to North of the 47th Parallel only!

JW thought it was the same too... here is an exert from the Weather thread...

I wanna get some of that stuff! It sure is pretty and does it bloom for a long time? Wonder if it's out in the wild here somewhere
If this is it then it grows up not too far from where my sis lives about an hour from here. I bet it's around here somewhere also. I shall keep my eyes out for it. Is this it Colleen?
http://www.nwcb.wa.gov/detail.asp?weed=185r
Or is it this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caltha_palustris { It is the Caltha palustris.... }

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not the same plant, you are probably confusing it with with this other plant that looks very similar, JW thought it was the same too, but would not do well in zone 5 and dies off in the heat of the summer. You are confusing the Marsh Marigold for the noxious weed, Ranunculaceae, otherwise known as fig buttercup or crowfoot...

Very weird. A guy that works with the Department of Natural Resources told me it was Marsh Marigold, and I found it listed on the DNR website. Here's a photo I took of it:
DSCN1491.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

and here's my pond today. still murky from the pea gravel but I am now seeing improvement every day.
DSCN4959.png

Ask a Question