What does your pond look like ... Today?

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I love google earth it is like the best thing ever in the winter when I have nothing to do I look at it .I was amazed that this whole development was not even here 13 years ago as I bought the property 11 years ago And I laughingly call it a development when there are only 30 houses and when I moved here I think there was only 8 houses .When I bought the lots my GPS in my truck kept telling me to be careful because I was in a field and not on a road .

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
google maps blow up .You can still where the forester cut down trees on my property before I caught him .I am lucky I came home when I did

Attachments

• splendors gate2015 008.JPG
    splendors gate2015 008.JPG
    155.1 KB · Views: 156
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Do you ever look at Google Maps?

Funny story. The Google Maps people took a picture of our house when we were right in the middle of pond construction. We had done some tree trimming to prepare for the build so we had the front curb lined with yard waste cans (even borrowed four extras from our neighbor). In addition we had welcomed three dump trucks on the front lawn to dump rock and gravel, a bobcat drove over the front lawn to get to our backyard, digging the pond for three days straight, and we had power wheelbarrows rolling from back to front removing the excavated dirt. Needless to say, our yard looked like a war zone! To make it a complete picture, all of our kids happened to be home that day helping with pond construction and we were in the process of getting rid of an old car, so we had 8 vehicles parked in our driveway/on the street. Totally embarrassing. We have had two neighbors who were selling their homes tell us that prospective buyers told them they almost didn't come see THEIR house based on the condition of OUR front yard on Google maps! The first time a new friend dropped me off at home she exclaimed "you have a NICE house!" I said "you google searched me, didn't you?" Oh, man.

We have repeatedly asked Google to replace the photo (they have an older one that it a way more accurate representation of our home - there's a time slider that allows you to go back to older versions) but I guess our reason isn't compelling enough. They will do things like blur license plates or faces, but not remove your front yard shame! Someday!

So to answer your question @JBtheExplorer - yup. I've looked at Google Maps!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
hey that would be normal for here lisak .You would fit right in ,Google maps is do for an update I think it says 2016 but what I see they update only every 7 years

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Fingers crossed for an update soon. i guess it could be worse - a work friend showed me her house on Google maps and there she was, posterior view, bent over her flower bed! She did complain and they just blurred out her backside!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I just decided to look at my old house in NJ and you can barely see the house the trees have gotten huge ,you can't even see the private rd to it

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
made me look and brought back so many memories .Where the edison assembly plant was and my house right down the rd on Old Post rd .covered in trees now .The plant and all the memories are gone and lots of my friends are gone .they have passed to the other side now

Attachments

• splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 013.JPG
    splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 013.JPG
    199.2 KB · Views: 146
  • splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 015.JPG
    splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 015.JPG
    182.9 KB · Views: 160
  • splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 007.JPG
    splendors gate -edison nouse and ford plant 007.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 114

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
About three weeks ago I discovered they updated my area for the first time in about a year and a half, so it's the first time my new pond has been visible. Studying some of the surroundings I figured out it was taken in early-mid June of this year.

I love google earth it is like the best thing ever in the winter when I have nothing to do I look at it .

I agree! I can get caught up in it for a long time. I always use it to explore camp grounds and forests I visit to see if I can find hidden ponds or trails.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Needless to say, our yard looked like a war zone! Totally embarrassing.
So to answer your question @JBtheExplorer - yup. I've looked at Google Maps!

I personally would enjoy it if it were my own house in that situation. It brings some uniqueness to it so you can tell the exact day it was taken. Nothing embarrassing about it!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are rural enough they don't take close up enough pictures to see anybody. Our house is far enough off the street you can barely see it from the street view.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
I look at the over head view and then zoom in .My street view shows mostly the rocks on the hill and funny thing is the street view is older than the over head view because all the rocks on the hill are not there .Over head is older to .It has to be from 2009 because the bridge is white

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
street view is really older it was when we first started to rock the hill .I don't understand how street view can be older but it is .All you do to get overhead view is go down to right corner and it will show a box that says show imagery

Attachments

• street view of house 002.JPG
    street view of house 002.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 151
  • street view of house 005.JPG
    street view of house 005.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 195
  • street view of house 006.JPG
    street view of house 006.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 124
  • all around 7-14-15 055.JPG
    all around 7-14-15 055.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 206
  • driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 033.JPG
    driveway and all round yard and pond 2015 033.JPG
    315.4 KB · Views: 147

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Our street view is 2012, probably close to the same for the overhead view going by how the yard looks and the boats and cars parked around.

Ask a Question