What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The first shot is from one year ago. The second shot is from last night.
DSCN6096.jpg

IMG_2012 copy.jpg

The pond looks much better now being in its second season. The only thing that seems to be lacking are the waterlilies, but that's my own fault for not fertilizing them at all this year.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Pecan, in that last picture, how many water lilies are shown? Is there really only two pots??

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Gosh darn it @Troutredds !! We live in the same area, and I cannot keep my hyacinth green (or alive) much less see a bloom! I'm so jealous. What's the secret?? Is it a lower pH? Or not having koi nibbling on the constantly?? LOL.
I pin the roots of our hyacinth starts under the river cobble on our pond shelf. They thrive by feeding off the fertile sediment that builds up between the rocks. This also helps anchor them in place as they grow, so wind and fish can't move them much. Here's two shots of the shelf - one after removing last year's hyacinth late last autumn and one view from today:
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I was reading on another forum that mature pond water has a glassiness to it. It's almost like silk. We were sitting at the pond the other day and my husband said "look at our water - it's so... glossy!" And it's true. It's more than just clear. It's like sparkly clear. <POND NERD>

Ask a Question