What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Even if you did have a ton of guppies or mosquito fish breeding like crazy in there they have a small impact on biomass compared to goldfish. They are also easy to scoop out in big groups and give away/sell.
Yea I had to do that last year and feel pretty bad :( it's very hard to even give away guppy here so I'm not doing it again. Last year some how my guppies and goldfish wont even touch the baby guppies. they ate all the goldfish babies but not the guppies so i had 100+ guppies that I gave away. which took me a very long time to even give them away so I'm not doing that again :) only male this time!!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I finally took a pretty good shot of our biggest trout, Miss Leo, after hundreds of blurred attempts. We thought she was Mr. Leo until she spawned a couple years ago. To give you some perspective, the comet in the foreground is twelve inches long:
image.jpg

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm actually thinking guppies. only male guppies thought

Interesting idea. I never thought about using guppies. And you are right - very easy to know which guppies are male. I have made a note just in case. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Sounds like you need to buy some lottery tickets or at least accompany me to the store so I can buy some.
and share with me the number you buy too... please :p

Interesting idea. I never thought about using guppies. And you are right - very easy to know which guppies are male. I have made a note just in case. (y)
they are pretty interesting to see in the pond :) they go places where big fish cant. but you willhave to have a house for them in the colder month. they can tolerate a few cold nights though.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
They probably don't eat toes....at least not toes that are still attached...lol
mine were nibbling on every inch of exposed skin while in the pond, they actually nip a little!

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
have to still figure out the pic thing on new puter .Good gosh I want my old vista one back it was so easy compared to this thing

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
mine were nibbling on every inch of exposed skin while in the pond, they actually nip a little!
I gotta be honest that creeps me out a little bit. :( One of the dive spots I used to go to, had these fish that would nibble on you, I hated it. I love to look at them but DON'T TOUCH ME. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My pond water is red... I dont have any tree near by but I think it's from the clay that got in there. The water is a little cloudy but I can see to the bottom of the pond which I just realized is a lot shallower than I thought!! I think I dont have that much gallon as I though, oh well.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
you can use a flocculent or clarifier to clear it up .It binds it and lets it go to your filter

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I gotta be honest that creeps me out a little bit. :( One of the dive spots I used to go to, had these fish that would nibble on you, I hated it. I love to look at them but DON'T TOUCH ME. lol
That is one time I MIGHT be able to catch them, they swarm my legs. If I am really fast, don't fall, don't spook them, might catch one or two lol. Those fish are fast.

I have fun checking them out as they come around my feet to eat whatever I stir up. Get some real good views of the fish.

Ask a Question