What does your pond look like ... Today?

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
:) Usually once I see them chasing (which may go for a couple of hours), I stop feeding for the next couple of days. I will see the fish rooting around in the anacharis and water hyacinths a lot after a spawning. I am guessing they are finding the eggs.
But you might not always see the spawning taking place, so no matter how hard you try, I think you are going to be a grandparent.

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Auntie... Don't even through the GP word around... I have an 18 yr old daughter... LOL
I noticed the chasing yesterday and today. Maybe she's a faster swimmer and he hasn't caught her yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
LOL Thanks Cas... Hehe
Do they stop chasing after the female is pregnant? I mean how I know to reduce the feeding to encourage them to "have eggs for breakfast"?
The female doesn't actually get pregnant. She is at her fattest pre-spawn. The males chase her so they can fertilize the eggs as they are being expelled from the females body. Once all the chasing is over you can assume she is empty and all the eggs are out and about.
Often times in younger fish the males will chase females just because they are females. The males seem to mature sexually sooner than females do.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
2015-7-08 flowers,  daylily (1) crop.JPG

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I had no idea. Thanks rodsboys. This was obviously not included in my "birds and the bees" talk. Hehe
She doesn't look fatter than normal but ah heck, how do I know, I've had them for like a month.
I have been not feeding our fish, but with all the storms rolling through, all the rain water changes, they have been spawning non stop. I have never had so many fry as I do this year. I do have water room for them so all will be fine. And they are so pretty! Little monsters.............

tbendl

T
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
I wasn't going to feed mine today but the hubby made me feel guilty. He called them water goats, said they will eat anything and my little handful of pellets wouldn't keep them from eating the eggs if they could find them. Then he went on about "awe look how sad they are". Hehe
So I knuckled under and fed the little tailed goats.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
babies everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I didnt realized how much babies I have but I will now stop feeding... hoping my fish will eat the babies. I'll see if I can put in a couple of top level fish (like mosquitoes fish) to eat the babies...

my first bloom.. after only less than 3 weeks of planting!
photo.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Mosquito fish? I heard those suckers breed like crazy! If you're trying to get rid of fish don't add those.

Haha :) I'm actually thinking guppies. only male guppies thought. I put those in the pond during summer at my old house without ill effect, go back to my indoor tank in fall, winter, and spring. they are very interesting in the pond and eat the babies and mosquitoes larvae that my big goldfish missed. especially now I have plants ring, the place where little tiny creatures can live undetected! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
haha, not many fish is easy to tell which is male and which is female. at lease the guppies are easy to identify and so I wont need to worry about the babies if i get only the male :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Even if you did have a ton of guppies or mosquito fish breeding like crazy in there they have a small impact on biomass compared to goldfish. They are also easy to scoop out in big groups and give away/sell.

Ask a Question