What does your pond look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Love that pot pot Pecan.

Thanks! I have a small collection of talavera pottery and love it! They remind me of home in southern CA with the spanish style :) My family was the original settlers of CA back when the spaniards came up from Mexico in the late 1700's. Seems I always lean toward that style when it comes to the yard. My hubby says it is in my blood and also explains my constant craving for flour tortillas. LOL

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Pecan wants flour tortillas, while j.w wants to eat trout. You two should get together for fish tacos:geek:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Ya know I have never even tried a fish taco but I hear they are very good and w/ such fresh trout in them I bet they would be quite delicious ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks! I have a small collection of talavera pottery and love it! They remind me of home in southern CA with the spanish style :) My family was the original settlers of CA back when the spaniards came up from Mexico in the late 1700's. Seems I always lean toward that style when it comes to the yard. My hubby says it is in my blood and also explains my constant craving for flour tortillas. LOL

It is beautiful and very pricey up here. I look at pots like that at nurseries, they add so much color to your outdoor space.

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Thanks, Big Lou. I bought five fish as 4-5 inch juveniles from a local trout hatchery last february. The largest one built a nest and layed hundreds of eggs two months ago. The eggs didn't hatch (don't think my males are sexually mature yet). After spawning, she was harrassed by an eager male for a week. Unfortunately, she jumped out of the pond last week - probably misjudged her leap in the pre-dawn darkness. I measured her at just over eighteen inches before she became plant fertilizer (Yes j.w, I buried her - I don't eat pet fish)!

I also had a fingerling coho salmon from a local river in our pond for a bit but it was sucked into our pump intake before I installed a safety basket over the inlet housing (I lost a trout that way last year too). We have two 8" koi and five comets as well. The trout leave those guys alone but hassle each other incessantly. They have a strict pecking order, with the dominant fish occupying the best holding areas in the current. Yes, I said current because we have a 14000 gph centrifugal pump and it moves a lot of water in our 5000+ gallon system. The trout love the heavy flow and the high dissolved oxygen content. My wife does NOT love the high power bill! Two pics show the big female being chased before her demise. The middle one shows our pump.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
A local pond guy here has a trout pond that is 15 feet deep. He said trout requie deep water. He lets boysxouts come fish his pond :)

I am on my phone so I can't see your location. Curious as to where you are?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's mine today. It's going to be a little while until I can get the rest of the flagstone for the pond and the pea gravel and plants for the bog, so in the mean time I'm doing small things here and there. Other than that everything is nearly set.
DSCN4702t.jpg

I also added a new wildflower area along the fence. I've been growing seeds inside that I'm hoping can be put out there in a couple weeks
DSCN4698t.jpg

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Your flagstone work looks great, JB! Pecan: I'm in the Seattle area of western Washington state. Rainbows are cold water fish, so they prefer the cool depths in the summer, especially in sunny AZ.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Sunshine, I LOVE your yellow fence, I may just have to paint my fence yellow too when I finish rebuilding it!

We have had some really nice warm sunny days and the pond plants are coming nice now...
IMAG0211.jpg

Attachments

• IMAG0210.jpg
    IMAG0210.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 202
  • IMAG0212.jpg
    IMAG0212.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 203

Ask a Question