What does your pond look like ... Today?

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Everything looks great, @j.w! I hope your kitty and all the fish steer clear of that red-eyed gator though. He looks hungry. :eek:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
@tbendl you can get them at Lowes or H-depot for cheap and you can divide them and have many to plant in your pond or in your gardens.

Thanks @Troutredds and the gators eyes glow at night when the porch light is on. I tried using him as a deterrent to the heron but I don't think our herons know what a gator is so up went the net and I tried most everything else also. Mr Heron is not happy w/the net but I and the fish are :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I encourage you all to post pics of YOUR springtime ponds and/or gardens (for my own selfish enjoyment, of course:p) if you'd be so inclined... :)
I watched the last of the ice melt in the upper pond early this morning.
2862happydance-thumb.gif

So, across the pond by the boat, chainsaw ect, there's a plastic chair. Yesterday, there was two of them. The other was in the middle of the bank, between the two ponds. Today there is only one. Wind direction suggests it's in the upper pond. It's possible a gust from a different direction blew it down into the second pond. It was closer to that edge.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

pond%20april%2015th%20001.jpg

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hope it stays melted for you...........

I would be shocked if we got an ice layer now.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I encourage you all to post pics of YOUR springtime ponds and/or gardens (for my own selfish enjoyment, of course:p) if you'd be so inclined... :)

I agree. I post a lot, so I love when others do too. always great seeing pics even when there isn't a lot to see. This time of year is exciting because plants are beginning to grow and changes happen daily!

Troutredds

You can call me Red
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I watched the last of the ice melt in the upper pond early this morning.
2862happydance-thumb.gif

So, across the pond by the boat, chainsaw ect, there's a plastic chair. Yesterday, there was two of them. The other was in the middle of the bank, between the two ponds. Today there is only one. Wind direction suggests it's in the upper pond. It's possible a gust from a different direction blew it down into the second pond. It was closer to that edge.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

pond%20april%2015th%20001.jpg
Maybe a Vermont Bigfoot took your chair and is reclining in the sun somewhere, resting his big feet. I'd imagine even Bigfoot needs to relax and put his feet up once in a while... :cool:

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
And Some bodies ate lots of my horn wort .....
:(
It will grow back for you tho. Me I'm not sure what is down there but I think not much. I will have to make sure I have some in a separate tub outside of the pond from now on that I can use to replenish mine if it gets too sparse.
How do you connect your ponds Colleen? Do you just use a flap of liner glued up to the top one and then flap it down to a lower pond so the water flows down over a water fall?

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I still have some Horn wort in bottom pond and pieces here and there in other top ponds, but they sure did eat lots over the mild winter and spring. I also have reserves of Horn wort in fish tanks that need to be thinned out as well. Once the water gets really warm the Horn wort will grow faster than what the fish can eat

The liner will be placed into top pond and I will fashion a clean pouring down spout from the liner hanging over the edge. That is what I did for the other upper ponds and it has worked good all these years. No glue, just make a open spout where the water will flow down and into lower level pond. I will take pictures when I get there.

Today I need to do more digging and want to get lumber after I take my mother for breakfast and coffee at A&W. Nobody else takes her there but me, and she loves the coffee and burger, read paper and then she needs to stop at Nutters to get a few supplies. I love my mother so much and I need fit her into my busy schedule today. Good Lord I can't imagine not having her, so must enjoy her well I still can.

The only thing is my mother wants to steal my baby Rio and keep her for herself! :LOL:

Reaction score
I spent today in the garden with the Wife doing some tidying up. She's got the greenfingers so I leave her to do her thing whilst I sieve compost and dig holes for her when requested. She trims back all the dead vegetation around the garden and so my pond plants got a tidy up too.

I made the decision to remove some Yellow Flag Iris from my little Wildlife Pond as they'd taken over:

pond-09-16April2015.png

It looks a little bare again now. However, there is a little bit of duck weed in it and I'm sure that'll soon cover the surface as it gets sunnier.

My poor cat is a bit out of sorts at the minute, so he stayed close to home today and kept guard over the tadpoles again in the bigger wildlife pond:

pond-07-16April2015.png

The bigger wildlife pond needs a couple of more plants as I can't help feel that it looks a little bare but the eloda crispa hasn't started growing like wildfire just yet. I'm waiting for some frogbit plants to come available from an online garden plant shop and I'll buy a couple of them to add along with some other native British pond plants I've got my eyes on:

pond-10-16April2015.png

Ask a Question