What does your pond look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Here's a couple of the babies in the pond earlier today.
IMG_1113.png

They haven't changed color yet and it makes me wonder what to expect. Are there babies that don't change color at all and just stay black? I've got 5, maybe more that are still black. One turned white, so I'm guessing it'll grow up to be a white fish.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Amazing in just 2 days
lol I gave a helping hand. The tarp did not appear to be doing anything, but it did soften the ice, the aerator, I attached the air hose to a drip hose, put it along the bog wall, it gave off a wall of fine bubbles. That started the one edge melting, then it froze then melted, then froze, but finally the melting overtook the freezing. As the ice softened I used the leaf net pole to push the ice apart, where I could. That made ice flows which melted faster than one big sheet of ice.

All the ponds froze up again on thursday, but yesterday the snow and ice poofed away! We hit 58!

I moved the aerator hose to the middle of the pond (red lines show the stream of bubbles) , tied a few rocks to it and have the net helping hold it down. Need to make a heavier anchor for the aerator hose. Give the water some movement until I get the pump set up, end of the week. We are doing a run to ocean city, I don't think turning it on then leaving is a good idea............... even though we have house watchers, they would not know what to do with a serious leak, or other issues.
ponde.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Good for you on getting it clear of ice and now go and enjoy your trip. Your fish will enjoy playing in the bubbles while you are gone. When you come back you can get your pump going.

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
your babies are still young JB it may take longer for them to change with the cooler water .It used to be a black fish were considered bad luck and now they are sought after .

Ask a Question