Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I was going to say something but I had a weak moment and decided to be nice. Glad you kept the stereo type running strong

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hard to believe but it has been one year this weekend since I filled the pond and turned on the pump. I survived, lol. Been quite the transformation in a year.

20230907_180335.jpg

20230909_144947.jpg

20240906_175941.jpg

20240906_180000.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Lovely and look how all those plants really grew in so nicely! Love all the blooms!
Thanks! Unfortunately had to pull out the impatients in the stream. Wife was not happy with how big they got and covering up the stream. I was shocked at how much the roots grew in the stream, well over a foot long.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Too bad a lot of filtration, nutrient sucking.

But all looks great!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Too bad a lot of filtration, nutrient sucking.

But all looks great!
Yep, I told her the plants did their job keeping the water crystal clear. But realistically the plants only had a couple of weeks left before the weather kills them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'd hate to see what she would call me. Be greatful your not driving a full size truck I always came how with the bed full.
Edicting as all get out isn't it?
Definitely is addictive, although I would say I had this "problem" before the pond, lol. Fold down the seats in the minivan and you can load up quite a bit.
The hosta farm I went to yesterday is only open about 6 times during the season and yesterday was the last day this year. Great for hostas, but also a surprising selection of water plants. Just a small family run place, 4th generation, no big signs or online presence, just posts on Facebook, a local gardener/pond person told me about it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Plants can indeed quickly affect water level - they take it up and release it into the atmosphere. The more you have and the bigger they get the more water you can expect to lose.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Impatiens get remarkably large in the water. I haven’t planted any for the last two years since we had our waterfall redone, but I do miss them. I think next year will be back to some impatience in the waterfall.

Really not a bad idea to remove them at this time of year though. Once that first frost hits, they just turned to mush and that’s no fun taking them out at that point.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Impatiens get remarkably large in the water. I haven’t planted any for the last two years since we had our waterfall redone, but I do miss them. I think next year will be back to some impatience in the waterfall.

Really not a bad idea to remove them at this time of year though. Once that first frost hits, they just turned to mush and that’s no fun taking them out at that point.
Thanks, that is what I was thinking, easier to take out now. I took them out last weekend and can already tell the difference in the water level. I was topping off every 4 days before, now it has been 6 days and while it is lower not really bad. Same weather, very dry, no real rain for about 4 weeks now.
The impatiens were nice, if I do it again I will probably keep them trimmed back a little, it is nice to see the stream again.

Ask a Question