Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted that water lilly about May 11. I had ordered in online, it was very small when it arrived, two small leaves. I had my doubts as to how well it would do. It really started growing once the weather and water warmed up about two weeks ago. The other water lilly I have is still growing, not as much sun as this one so it has been a little slower. That one also was very small when I got it. I have been using the fertilizer tabs, when planted and every couple of weeks.
Thanks! I went out at lunch time and found that the pads are at the water top now, so we'll see how they do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Thanks! I went out at lunch time and found that the pads are at the water top now, so we'll see how they do.
I noticed that the first couple of pads were slow to get to the surface but once a couple got there then the plant had the energy to produce many more and they came up much faster. All depends on the amount of sun and how deep you have them planted. Mine are on shelves about 20 inches deep, but the top of the planter of course is closer to the surface, so they are probably only growing 12-15 inches to the surface.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am shocked, already have a baby fish. I thought it would be a year or two before any babies were possible. The goldfish I got last September were only 3-4 inches. I saw the baby last week, but I was not positive because I really did not think there would be any. Then I saw for the second time today so it is confirmed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Daylillies have been popping out the last week or so. These are ones I planted last Fall. The last picture is one that is in the bog.
20240709_081122.jpg
20240709_080958.jpg
20240709_081056.jpg
20240709_080827.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
How fun! It's just so exciting when things start filling in like you'd hoped they would.
But I have questions --- daylilies in a bog?? Is it a certain type of daylily? and what is the plant in the last photo with the elevated round leaves?
Pretty cool variety of stuff you have there :)

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
What a wonderful pond! The water is incredibly clear, the bog must be putting in the work!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How fun! It's just so exciting when things start filling in like you'd hoped they would.
But I have questions --- daylilies in a bog?? Is it a certain type of daylily? and what is the plant in the last photo with the elevated round leaves?
Pretty cool variety of stuff you have there :)
Yeah, I took a long shot with the daylillies in the bog. There are three in there. I thought I had seen some people mention that they have had daylillies in a bog so I put them in there to see if they would work. They made it through the winter. The issue though is that there is a lot of shade in the bog so they probably will not flower as well as my other daylillies I have in the yard. I am lucky to have a large daylilly nursery in the next town, incredible selection of daylillies that I have planted in a lot of my gardens.
The big plant you saw is a Darmera (umbrella plant). Bought it this Spring at a unique nursery near me, the owner said it would get large, he was not kidding. I got it after it flowered, it is an early spring flower but it is the leaves that make the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a wonderful pond! The water is incredibly clear, the bog must be putting in the work!
Thanks, yes been very happy with the clear water. I dont think I did anything special, maybe the bog is bigger than really necessary, there is a lot of shade in the afternoon, the water hyacinth have really spread, only 8 fish plus one baby one, a lot of trapdoor snails (they are very cool). I think it all combined to make the water clear.

TheFishGuy

( Insert something funny )
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
4b or 5a
Country
United States
Thanks, yes been very happy with the clear water. I dont think I did anything special, maybe the bog is bigger than really necessary, there is a lot of shade in the afternoon, the water hyacinth have really spread, only 8 fish plus one baby one, a lot of trapdoor snails (they are very cool). I think it all combined to make the water clear.
Sounds like the perfect combination to me!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Impatiens really do like the edge of the stream, basically have covered one of the waterfalls. Water hyacinth has gone crazy, probably cover more than a third of the pond (picture does not show all of it).
20240716_075619.jpg
20240716_075601.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Water is still crazy clear, to those battling algae, be patient. This is just the bog and plants working. Been this clear since mid May. Trapdoor snails have been very happy, lots of them, you can zoom in the second picture to see them.

20240802_082838.jpg
20240802_083603.jpg

Ask a Question