Thank you all for my first pond

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Also was not expecting so many baby fishes this year. I had 4 small goldfish, shubunkin, added last September, about 3-4 inches. Then added the 4 koi this spring, about 4-5 inches. Have five babies. Not sure but one this morning looked like it might be a koi, it looked like the Chagoi, I know it takes awhile to know for sure. Just was not expecting so many this year, I was thinking next year that would happen.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Also was not expecting so many baby fishes this year. I had 4 small goldfish, shubunkin, added last September, about 3-4 inches. Then added the 4 koi this spring, about 4-5 inches. Have five babies. Not sure but one this morning looked like it might be a koi, it looked like the Chagoi, I know it takes awhile to know for sure. Just was not expecting so many this year, I was thinking next year that would happen.
Lawyer w/side business................something fishy going on
fishcatch.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Looks beautiful, @Pablo!
Thanks! I am still in shock at how it looks now and think about this time last year, never thought it would look like this so early on. This fish have been a pleasant surprise, they are my little escape from reality each morning when I go out to feed them a little and then spend time counting how many babies show up.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo careful with this plant it took over a pond at a local nursery here and i mean it took over in and out its the broad leaf in the middle on the first group of photos you posted , the last photo

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
@Pablo careful with this plant it took over a pond at a local nursery here and i mean it took over in and out its the broad leaf in the middle on the first group of photos you posted , the last photo
Thanks, although I am not sure I know which one you are talking about, with all the photos I posted. Maybe the Darmera? It does get pretty big but I dont think it spreads too much. Or maybe you are thinking the Rodgersia, that is supposed to get big but in my bog it is not that big, I think it needs a bit more sun. The bog has been a bit of a challenge because it is basically shade all day, early spring it gets sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I am curious as to what is normal for the number of baby fish you get each year. I was not really expecting much, I only had 4 small shubunkin that went in September and then 4 Koi about the middle of May. But it is getting hard to keep track of the number of babies, I would say about 10 or 12. I would say they are all goldfish, maybe one is a koi but the koi were pretty small so I would not expect them to breed for a year or two. They seem to be doing well, getting bigger every day. Do the babies make it through the winter? If this keeps up it will not take long for the pond to fill up with fish and then I will get in trouble with @Lisak1;) I know a 3700 gallon pond can handle a lot of goldfish but still...

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yep babies survive winter. I don't feed when I don't want a lot of babies. They inhale the eggs.

Been feeding all summer, this year, snake food replacements.

No koi.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Getting a little concerned about the water level. Last few weeks have had to fill the pond every few days, over 300 gallons each time. It has been dry, no appreciable rain in over two weeks. Has not been hot, actually kind of cool weather and the pond is in a lot of shade. Have not seen any obvious leaks, pump connections are all dry. I dont know if the plants are just taking up a lot more water since there has been no rain. The hyacinth probably covers just under half the pond, the impatiens are pretty big in the stream. I will look around again for any possible leaks today.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
150 gallons a day is not outrageous . He'll the average person uses a 100 to 150 gallons with a shower.

The advantage to the cistern these quick down pours fill up the cistern. And I usually get 3 weeks before city water is needed if I get no rain at all.

They are both a toss up city water needs dechlorinator and rain needs baking soda, to keep a pH crash from happening but I have been closer to 200 kh these days and it takes several down pours to even touch the pH

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
150 gallons a day is not outrageous . He'll the average person uses a 100 to 150 gallons with a shower.

The advantage to the cistern these quick down pours fill up the cistern. And I usually get 3 weeks before city water is needed if I get no rain at all.

They are both a toss up city water needs dechlorinator and rain needs baking soda, to keep a pH crash from happening but I have been closer to 200 kh these days and it takes several down pours to even touch the pH
Hmmm, I guess I have to up my daughters water allowance from the current 5 gallons a day.

Ask a Question