Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Funny you should mention a hammock.
I put this up yesterday and my wife was enjoying using it. The temperature got up to 7C/45F yesterday.
:)

IMG_5265.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Love your glass greenhouse Mitch, and love the hammock too! I was looking back at old pond pictures too and I know my pond plants are behind this year too. That is a horrible amount of ice Mitch, I feel very bad for you. Lets just hope that winter is gone for good this time, and up north we need global warming ha ha ha, so get out the 1970's vehicles and start driving them around again!!
I have not been getting the Gmail from this thread lately, so going to have to figure that out too...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think we can all compare pics from last year to this in March, April, or even February around here, and see quite a difference. I have most of my spring bulbs all blooming in mid March last year, this year they JUST started Sunday. I have daffodils and crocus blooming today. Everything is sprouting, trees are budding out. Again, about 3 weeks behind last year, but last year we had no winter to speak of. This past winter, far worse than normal. Maybe next winter will be in between and more "normal".

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Colleen,
This is it this morning.
There's still 8 inches of ice as of yesterday, but the snow on top is melting and the pond breathers are free floating now.
The melt water refreezes every night, but thaws again quickly the next day.

IMG_5270.JPG

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Well at least it is starting to melt!! Mitch I think you should stock the pond with a bunch of little rosy minnows this year, they are very tough and breed rapidly. They call them "feeder minnows" at the pet store and they will eat lots of little bugs too. I keep them in the bottom pond and I move them to the front yard pond in the spring. The combine very well with the goldifsh and they are very very cheap!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
That's a good idea. I haven't noticed them at local pet stores in Calgary, but I'll have a look next time.
I have 6 very fat goldfish from my aquaponics system that I'm going to transfer to the outside pond as well.
They came in as eggs last year on some floating plants I bought.

Ask a Question