6a
Country
United States
Pond last year. April 2, 2013

View attachment 68274

Pond this year. April 6, 2014.
Ice is still 10 inches thick.

View attachment 68275
Mitch you just want to stock it and plan on ice fishing, you will get a longer season that way ;) Amazing how different it is from last year. My cattails last year where about a 1ft tall by now, this year they are just starting to grow, I see about a 1/2" of growth.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
They are so small that it's hard to see what they are sometimes and what the heck is this one :peeking:It says peeking but it's still odd..................and look they have one of Haro :troll:

I think that's a keyhole, jw.

Mitch you just want to stock it and plan on ice fishing, you will get a longer season that way ;) Amazing how different it is from last year. My cattails last year where about a 1ft tall by now, this year they are just starting to grow, I see about a 1/2" of growth.

That's depressing, RobAmy! That Polar Vortex really did a number on all of us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My sister got some rosy minnows in AZ when she lived there, thought they sounded "pretty", and then realized they multiplied like mice, and soon had hundreds of them in her pond. Does anyone else have this problem, or maybe just because of the very warm climate in AZ? I figured since they are small, the bigger koi and bullfrogs would keep them in check. I don't think I would like to have so many of them in my pond, if they reproduced like that, as it would cut down on how many other fish I could have, or would they not make much of a difference, since they stay small?

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I put some in my lotus tub, no competition, there are 4 right now, think they are marginal to our area. Just survive the winter. I started with a bunch, they have not migrated into the big pond seem to stick around the lotus tub.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Step out the front door this morning, and this is what you see.
THIS IS NOT HELPING WITH THE MELTING SITUATION!
Plus the truck doors were frozen shut when I went to warm it up.
I think we must live on a different planet.

IMG_0420.JPG

IMG_0421.JPG

IMG_0422.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Mitch if you own any weapons then it be time to load them :)
No weapons here, RobAmy, maybe I'll throw a snowshoe at the sky and curse a bit. Then my wife will tell me to stop being silly and get back in the house.:LOL:
You are doomed Mitch................is there anything we can do for you to make life more comfortable for you before you freeze to death

No thanks jw, this too, shall pass. With our climate changing, maybe our fall will stretch into Christmas.:cautious:

Colleen, I've got the whiskey and TONS of ice, you and your hubby bring the glasses!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Actually, I should have expected this. This weekend is the Calgary garden show and it always snows during their weekend.
Roads were icy with blowing snow.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I covered my tulups that came up by house, don't want them to freeze hard cause then they look terrible. Little pond in front yard has ice, it was empty last fall, but snowmelt filled it half up. When the ground is still frozen in many areas it can freeze quick.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Well Mitch in sympathy for all those w/ snow still on the ground the rest of us could post pix saying we have snow and freeze right now and continue doing so till you are free from it all.

Boy it's cold here,we had a freak snow storm last night!
IMG_1525.JPG

Now does that make you feel better Mitch?

Ask a Question