Pond in the foothills

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I think I tried a hose clamp, but the air line hose is so rigid, it didn't hold it on any better, so removed it. Maybe if I try again when it's warm outside, I'll have better luck. I usually store it not connected, and when I put it together, the weather is usually cold.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
I always fret and worry when weather is really cold, and check the ponds "morning, noon and night". Last week when the wind chill was down to minus 40, I check the level of my bottom pond constantly, cause when the ice grows very thick in the top two ponds, the water level in my bottom pond can drop quite a bit, as water is displaced and turned to thick ice on the top ponds. Good thing too, cause one night the level was falling below the filter and then the pump started slow big time and then I had close to a foot of ice on thatpond. So then I ran a hose out of bathroom window and topped off the bottom pond so the filter would have more water, and then the pump could flow and exchange more water with the warm upper ponds and melt that massive ice berg. Life is a struggle when you winter ponds in the minus 40 temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
But you do a wonderful job taking care of them, Colleen, and keeping us up on your tricks! I'm contemplating connecting my ponds this summer, but still thinking that I also like that if one pond has a huge problem, I would still have the second pond to go to in case of emergency. So, still thinking on that ....

sissy

sissy
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
Yeh thinking you are better with 2 ponds unless there is a way to keep what ever is happening in 1 to not go into pond 2 .I have been thinking about all the if's and when's with the new pond .Trying to avoid any problems .

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
No problem with the top two ponds and my biggest fish are up in those ponds cause the water is freshest and flows good the way I have it. I just have to keep an eye on the bottom pond and make sure it is always topped up. The bottom pond should be ideally way bigger than the top ponds but it is about the same size, and it is pumping water to middle pond, which pumps water to top pond. I could just have one pump to the top and free flow down, but I have two big filters to catch the stuff coming out of the top pond, and another big filter in the bottom pond. If I had more room back there I would have made the bottom pond bigger. I got that liner a few years ago for free from my friend, but someday I will dig it deeper. The filters I use actually work really good for winter, and they can run for months before they need to be cleaned, so that it good. Too cold for above ground filters, I think they lose too much pressure once the water goes into the box, and then freezes, where as a hose does not lose pressure cause the hose is small, and if the filter is below the ice it will not freeze either. Except last week the water level dropped in bottom pond and then half of that filter froze.

CE the beauty of having connecting ponds is that the tops ponds will deice sooner, and you still will have separate ponds, just one body of water moving between all ponds, and then your smaller goldfish pond will stay fresher too. Although the smaller pond will have to be the top pond to work good. Then some of the goldfish might escape down the stream into the koi pond....

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think I tried a hose clamp, but the air line hose is so rigid, it didn't hold it on any better, so removed it. Maybe if I try again when it's warm outside, I'll have better luck. I usually store it not connected, and when I put it together, the weather is usually cold.

The air hose I am using is the black irrigation stuff, thin walled 3/4 inch. It clamps on real nicely.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm still here, Colleen!:)

Nothing new with my ice cube of a pond and I've run out of jokes.
I see +11C/+52F coming this weekend from jw's part of the world, so definitely looking forward to that!:)

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Glad to send some warmth your way but hope all the moisture we are having doesn't come along w/ it or you will be swimming in it
:cyclops:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
What a gorgeous day today!:)
I took the puppies out for a walk and took some pictures.
I also wanted to show everyone how many of us can call ourselves neighbours.

This is a shot of puppies (Mykka and Bear) on our dead end road today. The snowbanks further along the road are about 4 - 5 feet high. The snowplow came by today which is handy.
This is a shot looking north.
IMG_0380.JPG

A natural gas pipeline crosses our property and heads down to the US.
This is our pipeline right of way, looking east. From this fence to the other side of our property is 1/2 mile.
IMG_0386.JPG

This pipeline probably crosses a few of our GPF member states.
Are any of you aware of it's existence?
Here is the distribution map:

natural gas pipeline route.jpg

We have so much natural gas up here it's not funny. (just ask my wife!....:ROFLMAO:)

This is a picture of our driveway on the way back home.
We got about 4 inches of snow today.

IMG_0393.JPG

The pond breathers have almost been overtaken by the ice and snow.
I'm pretty sure the snow will be receding as of this weekend.........phew!:)

IMG_0398.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
addy if the fish survive this harsh winter, it's gonig to be pond breathers from now on.:)
If they don't, I'm going to try to analyze why not.

I'm pretty impressed that the pond breathers never stopped working.

Ask a Question