j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
That's what I should be doing. I want to grow some tomato's, lettuce and misc. salad makings this year :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
It's technically too early for us here, our last frost usually isn't until the end of May.
I'm going to use the greenhouse and extra lighting to keep them growing until then.

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
we freeze off and on until may, mothers day is the day they say to put out veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
I have seeds in milk jugs, outside under the snow, winter sowing. Then I learned the annuals I already put out will likely not make it, as if we have warm snap (like today and tomorrow, close to 60) they may sprout, and then will die from next freeze (next week). But, have extra seeds to resow. I don't have a greenhouse, would have to be a really sturdy one in my winds.
Agree with you Mitch, winds make a BIG difference in the temps and how frozen our ponds get. My goldfish pond has been up and running 100% all winter, except one time the pond got really froze over, and I was afraid the skimmer might not be able to pull water, and when power went out for a day, had to wait to melt hole to start up bubbler again. All is thawing my way, soon no snow to deal with, just mud. But, I'll take it!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We are bouncing up to the high 50's then back down into the 30's and maybe snow, just hope plants don't decide it is spring and get going.

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Wow CE seed in milk jugs under the snow.....................you really are gung ho on getting this planting thing started early. Way to go!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Well that didn't take long!
I have some seedlings coming up.
Thyme, Pak Choi, Kale and Ambrosia Gold Tomatoes.:)

IMG_0378.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Good for you, Mitch! I just checked my winter sowing jugs, since I had to redo the tags with paint pen. Couldn't find pen when put them out, so had to use permanent marker, but that is NOT "permanent" outside in the sunshine. Nothing sprouted in yesterday's beautiful sunshine and mid 50's temps. Whew! Here's what they look like:
Winter sowing.JPG

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Cool CE and hope they sprout soon for ya! Looks like you have the jugs cut all the way in half except for leaving a little attached to hold them together?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yes, that's how it's done, JW. No lid either. Once it warms up, the lid on there would make them too hot. Don't want the seeds to sprout too soon, but when they do, it's usually the right time for them to sprout, but about 2 -4 weeks sooner than just putting seeds in the ground. The tops are held onto the bottoms with bread ties. I took them apart to remove the name tags, so I could use the paint pen, since that will last all year and not fade off. Worst thing is having seedling you don't know what they are!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I got a new pond cam set up with night vision and motion capture so we can see what is out there 24 hours/day.
Here is a snapshot from this morning at -31C/-24F.
It's one of our dogs (Mykka, I think) barking at something out there.
We live at the top of a hill and I'm wondering if maybe some deer have camped out in our yard because it's warmer than lower in the valley.
Please excuse the ATV trailer with garbage in it. The trailer is frozen in ice so I can't move it until the ice thaws.
This was taken at 5:18 this morning.
The fence is 5 feet tall, but the snow buildup has reduced it to about 3-1/2 feet.

03-01-2014 05-18-36 pond.jpg

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr love watching what shows up on cameras

Ask a Question