addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
neat! Do yours feed a dvr? or saved on the cam itself? When the bugs are flying mine are triggered constantly at night. Wind blowing constant trigger too

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I run the cams on a macintosh computer saved to a separate hard drive.
I'm trying to program it together with our weather webpage so it will post regular updates.
It's not as simple as it sounds, lol.
I can set the webcam sensitivity to filter out noise like snowflakes, flies and debris that get into the picture.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm working on setting up the sensitivity.
I walked out to the pond and back. At this temperature in my housecoat I wasn't out there long, lol.
I'm in the picture just to the right.
Hopefully moose, deer, ect. will show up pretty well.
03-01-2014 08-17-05 pond.jpg

waynefrcan

19 years ponding and hopefully 4 more!
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
HEy Mitch how those pond breathers holding up? On mine I hear the air pump running but aeration spots are iced over now for weeks. I hope they still pumping air in the pond.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Wayne,
They're both still going strong. The ice is about 6 inches from the top of them and the snow depth is maybe another foot above the top of the breathers.
There's about a 1 foot diameter open circle of snow around each one that protects them from the wind.
My floating thermometer is toast though. The transmitter got completely enveloped in the ice. There's about 2 feet of ice on my pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
My friend who has this pet store in town, has this really big pond that is nine feet deep he says. All he used this year was a bubbler and now the lines are frozen and he says he has over two feet of ice this year and is worried about his big koi he told me today while I was up shopping. It has been a much colder winter than last year for sure. The 1500 watt heater in my pond will be switched back to the 1200 watt tomorrow as the nights are not AS cold the last couple nights and now I have some larger holes open to see the fish again. :X3:

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I wrapped the feed from my bubbler in pipe insulation, one of the things they mention is the warm air coming out of the aerator creates moisture which will start to freeze up.
We are no way as cold as you are Colleen, it is -7 right now, bubbler has run all winter without an issue.
Hope his koi are ok when it defrosts.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
My air bubbler has pushed the line off 2 or 3 times now. I thought maybe the pump vibrated away from the line, but thinking the line froze, and the air could not push through, and then it pushed line off. I don't have it secured, just pushed onto the pump. I think my pump is just like yours, Addy, and never thought to put the pipe insulation on it to help keep it from freezing. Adding that to my "to-do" list for this year.

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I also use a hose clamp to keep the hose on the port coming out of the aerator. The warm air is mainly right at the exit from the aerator. The insulation will keep the air from condensing.
I do have around 20 feet of insulation on the line, the pump is at one end of the pond, the air flow is 3/4 of the way down the pond.

Ask a Question