Pond in the foothills

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Lots of rocks here too, but to have them so close to your land is very nice. I love the natural wooded landscaping and foot hills, makes for a very pretty picture for sure! Maybe big foot could make an appearance and give you a hand with those rocks! Ha ha hahaha. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Well that didn't take long! First night, a cougar!

Here kitty kitty!

Attachments

• MFDC0071-1.jpg
    MFDC0071-1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 251
  • MFDC0072-1.jpg
    MFDC0072-1.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 263
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Yikes!!!! I've seen bobcat kittens ... looked like large cats ... one time in person, but that's it, besides in the zoo! Having a cougar that close, I would have to get used to that. I guess you probably pack a gun whenever you go "walking in the woods" by you, huh? My daughter takes her handgun when she rides her horse into the mountains in UT, and they actually had a cougar tracking their group once, and that really freaked her out, but she sure wanted to have caught a glimpse of the cat, too! Thanks for sharing your great wildlife photos!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
CE, no rifles here, and pistols are not allowed.
I've thought about getting a rifle, but I have never had an occasion to use one in my life. It would just be one more thing to look after.
I carry bear spray and a knife with me whenever I do go out. I've never had to use that, either.
I've thought about the practicality of using a rifle when something is running fast at you, and I can't see that working very well.
Even if it was a grizzly, no point shooting him, it would only make him mad.
I find with wildlife, that if you keep to your own territory, they'll leave you alone.

I'm going to check the trail cam again in a week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Very smart attitude you have, Mitch. Living in that area, it helps you understand wildlife and learn their ways. I'm sure you understand them as much or more as they understand you, and from your moose pics, looks like they have taken you and your family into their "herd". Lucky you!

addy1

water gardener / gold fish and shubunkins
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How darn neat! Love it! great shots of the cat and the moose

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
Quick, run for your life and flee to the City!!! The wild animals are taking over everywhere!!! That is no nice puddy cat!!!
To tell you the truth, we have wild animals here in the city too, some are really dangerous humans!!!!

They caught a cougar here in town last weekend!!! But all the tree huggers and animals lovers protested and demanded it be released back into it's natural enviroment!!!

So they are going to release the cougar this weekend!!! ........ at Ralph's Texas Bar and Grill!!!! ha ha ha Ha HAAAA

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
In the past week the trailcam caught a couple of deer at the natural pond plus the moose and her calf at the goldfish pond one night.
The moose and calf haven't been seen otherwise so I think the cougar has moved on. I'm pretty sure that the cougar's presence at the wild pond is what was keeping the moose and calf up near the house.
I'll check again in another week.

MFDC0074.jpg MFDC0017.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Thanks Mitch for keeping us up to date and letting us see the photo's. Bullwinkle has glow in the dark eyes!

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Too bad you can't have the feed come into your house, bet you would have fun watching things wander around your ponds.

Neat pictures!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
addy, I picked up 2 basic trail cams because I wasn't sure how they would work out. There are others available that have lots of bells and whistles, including wireless transmission of the images. Apparently trailcams are popular for theives.
I'm pretty impressed with these images and we have lots of areas around our property that I think they'll come in handy. (including catching poachers that we have every year)
The wild pond is a half mile away through thick forest, so it's too far for wireless transmission, but the goldfish pond is only about 50 feet from our front door. We'll see.
Tomorrow I'll go and collect the past weeks' images. :)

addy1

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
lol We are just have our yard wired. A half mile would be a long way for wireless. The wireless feeding from our back yard did not do very well either. Very choppy, pausing a lot. So sticking with wired. Our longest cable is 160 feet, 100 feet then connected to a 60 foot wire to make it into the house.

Takes a lot of cable to go up the piping, across the yard, under the deck, into the hole we drilled into the house, up into the dvr.

We don't have mt lion, moose, poachers, but do have other milder critters. Deer, red fox, black bear, herons, fish, frogs, hawks, owls lol

Ask a Question