Our leaves are starting to turn, seeing reds, yellows

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
Hi Colleen,
About 30% of the valley has turned yellow now.
I often come across areas in our forest where different animals have spent the night - elk, deer, moose. Winter time too. Usually at least 100 yards into the forest though.
The snow is melted where they were laying.
I've just not seen a moose and calf stick around for so long.
Maybe I'll get a trail cam and put it up somewhere in our yard, pointed at the pond.

callingcolleen1

mad hatter
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4a
Country
Canada
That camera sounds like a good idea, that way you will see all the wild animals running amuck in your pond, and maybe even Big Foot! Ha ha ha

Our leaves are slowly turning color now too, not too much, just a little touch here and there. We have not had any frost yet.... knock on wood! And hope we don't any soon either! :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
This was about 1/2 hour ago. Too bad the "visitor to the pond" photo contest is done! :biggrin:
Wow, just wow!

Moose visit-01.jpg Moose visit-02.jpg Moose visit-03.jpg
Moose visit-04.jpg Moose visit-05.jpg Moose visit-06.jpg
Moose visit-07.jpg Moose visit-08.jpg Moose visit-09.jpg
Moose visit-10.jpg Moose visit-11.jpg

j.w

I Love my Goldies
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
USDA 8a
Country
United States
Yep they are beauties and I would be kinda worried about the liner also. No problems yet tho huh?

Reaction score
The beginning of this month I had a moose in my yard. A lot of people think they are ugly but I think they are beautiful animals. Just heard a pack of wovles took down a bull moose in my area. We got rid of wolves for a reason and now there back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Dang, those are some awesome pics, Mitch. I especially love the one where they are both looking over their left shoulder. And, I would say you need to submit those pics to the liner company! They may just pay you for advertising the strength of the liner ... that is as long as no punctures are put in it from their hooves. I'm thinking moose would be like horses, wider hooves, not as sharp as say antelope or smaller animals. Heavier, yes, but wider placement of the weight might keep them from piercing the liner. Good luck!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I keep checking where they stand, but the liner has been fine. I can see the outline of the hoof in the algae film, never any scuff marks.
That area of the plant shelf was going to be a gravel filled area for lots of plants as the pond matures, but it loks like the moose would trample them. The plants that are there are in plastic pots and they broke one.
The hoof prints I've seen are big and rounded.
:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
2a
Country
Canada
I'm going to try this product for the pond this winter:

IMG_4793.jpg

It's called a pond breather, it comes with a 145 GPH pump tht's suspended in the white ball about 3 feet below the water level and has a heater strip that keeps the circulation tube ice free. The pond water is kept aerated during the winter by the pump circulating water up through the center pipe where it is exposed to the outside air. It uses 40 watts.
http://www.amazon.com/8PB-Breather-Heated-Aerator-Watts/dp/B000HHM9U0

I also am looking for a better water thermometer, I tried vacuum sealing a wireless sensor from an indoor/outdoor thermometer, but it seems like the signals that it sends out are not strong enough to transmit through water.
This didn't work:

IMG_4791.jpg

...so I guess I'll have to get another wired one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Interesting heater, I'll want to hear how it did for you this winter.
As far as the wireless transmitter, I have a set, and if my receiver is not VERY close to the transmitter outside, it doesn't read the info. I though the battery was dead on the transmitter, but when I moved receiver to the inside of the same wall it was on, it picked up the info. A second receiver is about 30' away through another wall, and receiver picks up both. Had a floating thermometer on both ponds, one receiver in the house, but receiver typically only picked up the info from the closest koi pond's thermometer, and then not all the time. Goldfish pond is only about 20' farther, but plants in between it and house I guess causes signal to be disturbed. In the equipment's defense, I always buy stuff on sale and cheap ... so maybe if I went with more or most expensive, they would work better. :blueflower:

Ask a Question